Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:15:25 -0700

Hi,
Here is my original question:
 Does anyone know if you can get kidney stones as a result  of celiac disease  and not being compliant to the gluten free diet?  A member of my immediate family who is a male and only 23 years old has 2 kidney stones. He is definitely celiac and eats at restaurants a lot and does not always ask about his food being gluten free.
I didn't get too many answers to my question. Here are the answers:
Sandy
One person said: Do you know anything about the Low Oxalate diet?  These foods high in oxalates are really bad for folks with  kidney stones.  I am gf, df, sf, cf, and now off high oxalate foods.  I can send you a link to a forum about these foods.
There is so much info on this site. I was going to send a link just to the kidney stone but thought you'd look to see what you needed.
There is a lot of info of kids, too.  I know I don't have kidney stones but sure have a problem with high oxalate foods along with celiac.

Another person:  Would you please forward any information that you receive about kidney stones?  My husband had a number of episodes before he was diagnosed with Celiac Disease.  He now watches his diet, but I was also wondering if the kidney stones could have been  attributed to Celiac Disease.
Another:  kidney stones are generally the result of high calcium/parathyroid disease.

4. Another person said: I had CD for years back when doctors knew it was a rare disease and I did not have all the right symptoms. No one ever suggested I try the GF diet.  I never had a kidney stone.
Another: My 15 year old celiac daughter has had kidney stones.  It can be related to the celiac, apparently it can cause you to produce more oxalates, which can produce stones.  She was put on a low oxalate diet.
Ron says:

Hi Sandy,
I'm appending, below my signature, 3 abstracts and one citation to relevant articles in the literature. The message is clear that steatorrhea is not only a cause of kidney stones but, when reversed, can also reverse kidney stones.

If you need any clarification of the abstracts, please don't hesitate to ask.
Best Wishes,  Ron

Ron Hoggan, Ed. D.
co-author Dangerous Grains ISBN: 978158333-129-3 www.dangerousgrains.com
author: Get the Iron Edge: a complete guide for meeting your iron needs
ISBN: 978-0-9736284-4-9 www.ironedge.info
author Smarten Up! ISBN: 978-0-9736284-3-2 www.smartenup.info
editor: Scott-Free Newsletter www.celiac.com

"Objectivity is the prerogative of objects."

1: Dig Dis Sci. 1982 May;27(5):401-5.Related Articles, Links
Increased risk of nephrolithiasis in patients with steatorrhea.

Dharmsathaphorn K, Freeman DH, Binder HJ, Dobbins JW.

Patients with ileal disease have increased absorption of dietary oxalate,
hyperoxaluria, and an increased incidence of nephrolithiasis. Patients with steatorrhea of varying etiologies also have hyperoxaluria. To determine whether steatorrhea per se is associated with nephrolithiasis, we reviewed the charts of all adult patients who had a 72-hr fecal fat analysis from 1968 to 1978. The 159 patients with steatorrhea were compared to 162 patients without steatorrhea. The two groups were comparable in age, sex, urine specific gravity, and serum uric acid and phosphorus; serum calcium was slightly less in the steatorrhea group (8.7 +/- 0.1 vs 9.0 +/- 0.1, P less than 0.02). Although 19 patients with steatorrhea had nephrolithiasis compared to 7 control patients (P = 0.01), 15 of these 19 patients had ileal disease and only 4 of the 118 patients with steatorrhea but without ileal disease had stones. Categorical data analysis revealed that steatorrhea, diarrhea (stool weight greater than 225 g/day), male sex, and ileal disease were
 significantly associated with nephrolithiasis with a relative risk of 3.0, 2.7, 3.1, and 8.0, respectively. When patients without ileal disease were analyzed separately, however, steatorrhea, diarrhea, and sex were no longer risk factors. In contrast, in patients with ileal disease the incidence of nephrolithiasis increased with the severity of steatorrhea. The relative risk of nephrolithiasis in male patients with ileal disease and fecal fat greater than 20 g/day was 26.3 (P less than 0.01). Thus, the
presence of both ileal disease and steatorrhea greatly increases the risk of nephrolithiasis; however, neither steatorrhea alone nor ileal disease alone are risk factors for nephrolithiasis.

Publication Types:  Research Support, U.S. Gov't, P.H.S.

PMID: 7075427 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
2: Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1987 Jun;26(6):304-6.Related Articles, Links
Urolithiasis and enteric hyperoxaluria in a child with steatorrhea.
Jones DP, Stapleton FB, Whitington G, Noe HN.

Malabsorptive states are frequently associated with increased urinary
oxalate excretion. The authors describe a 10-year-old girl with steatorrhea, hyperoxaluria, and a renal calculus in a single functioning kidney.
Successful management of steatorrhea corrected both the chronic diarrhea and hyperoxaluria. Enteric hyperoxaluria is a well-known etiology of calcium oxalate urolithiasis in adults. Pediatricians caring for children with malabsorptive conditions should be aware of the risk of urinary calculus formation as a result of increased dietary oxalate absorption.

Publication Types:  Case Reports
PMID: 3581641 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
3: BJU Int. 1999 Sep;84(4):528-9.Related Articles, Links
Renal calculus: a unique presentation of coeliac disease.
Gama R, Schweitzer FA.
Clinical Biochemistry, Royal surrey County Hospital, Guildford, UK.
Publication Types:  Case Reports
PMID: 10468776 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
4: Clin Nephrol. 1990 Sep;34(3):116-21.Related Articles, Links
Acute deterioration of renal function associated with enteric hyperoxaluria.
Wharton R, D'Agati V, Magun AM, Whitlock R, Kunis CL, Appel GB.
Department of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and
Surgeons, New York, New York.

Enteric hyperoxaluria due to malabsorption syndromes has been well
documented to cause renal calculi and chronic tubulointerstitial renal
damage. Rarely, in the setting of intestinal bypass operations for morbid
obesity, enteric hyperoxaluria has produced acute renal failure. We report
two patients who suffered acute deterioration of renal function associated
with increased intestinal absorption and renal excretion of oxalate
associated with steatorrhea. One patient had a large portion of his small
bowel resected many years prior to the onset of the renal failure and the
second patient had chronic pancreatitis causing steatorrhea. Both patients
had renal biopsy documentation of the acute nature of the tubular damage
produced by oxalate deposition. The mechanisms of their deterioration of
renal function may relate to sudden increases in steatorrhea in association with episodes of volume depletion. Enteric hyperoxaluria may be an easily overlooked and potentially preventable etiology of acute renal dysfunction.