From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 14:41:41 -0400

June 7, 1998
Dear List:
On June 4 I posted the following message (here  digested:):

No adverse reaction to Pina Colada flavor topical gel
(Benzocaine 20%)  manufactured by Sultan Topex.
The rest was about a DDS sympathetic but mystified by my
"excruciating pain due to the fact that massive doses of novocaine had
absolutely no anesthetic effect."

I recalled that previous postings on this list suggested alternatives to
novacaine.

Most of the replies this time were requests for information. The only
info I have is from a previous exchange on the subject, and I  summarize
it below.

I believe teeth and bone loss are a big area of concern/negative
experience  that celiacs face, and that dentists need to be encouraged
to be sensitive to our needs and fears; and supportive of our
determination to cope with complex realities, and our hard work at being
healthy despite obstacles.

" I had severe mercury poisoning from my dental amalgams, secondary to the
CD (made me susceptible to the serious toxins in the fillings).  I had them
all removed and did a series of mercury detoxes through my naturopath...
have your dentist use composite fillings now (Conquest is best for this,
not porcelain which also ...  I have the beginnings of gum recession from
the CD, but with good periodontal care and flouride washes at home, I am
told that I will avoid this trauma.  ...ask your dentist to consult with a
mercury-free clinic.  My wonderful young dentist has a hot-line he calls
whenever I stump him with one of my allergies or sensitivities."

From earlier summary:
 "alternative to novocaine: mepergan(I believe the
 brand Weyth) and injections of citinest,some into the tooth....Mepergan
is GF."

"I am extremely allergic to all local anesthesia. You are right..it does
not kill pain when you have this problem!!! It took me finally going
into anaphalectic shock and also my heart  stopped after surgery one
time....some mouth surgery was canceled because they said that it is
very rare for a person to be allergic to caines and usually was
additives involved. ...there is a skin test for it now and in 8 years no
one had a positive reaction. So with a little uneasiness i agreed to go
to allergy dept to be tested. I WAS the first person they tested that
had a positive reaction and it didnt take but three sticks. Now it is
documented. Have your dr write a note documenting what happened to you
because no one had done that for me before this test."

Nancy in nyc