From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:56:09 -0400

Since being diagnosed, what I find brings me the most comfort is anything
that allows me to live my life in a way that's close to "normal."  I found
another one of these things last week and want to tell everyone on the list
about it.

About two weeks ago I posted on the list asking about dining cards.  A
number of people told me about Triumph Dining.  So I went to their website,
spend 10 bucks and got cards in Japanese, Chinese, Thai and Hindi.

Two nights ago my wife and I went back to what used to be our favorite
Japanese restaurant.  We hadn't been since I was diagnosed two years ago
because it was too frustrating (and unsuccessful) to explain Celiac to the
staff.  I gave the manager the Japanese Triumph Dining card.  He studied it
for a long time, nodding and nodding.  At one point he said to me, "So what
CAN you eat?"  I knew that was listed on the card too, so I said, "Keep
reading."  He did and then opened a menu and pointed out all the things I
could eat.  Then he called over the sushi chef and gave him special
instructions about how my food should be prepared.  I had a delicious
Japanese dinner that was completely gluten-free.  Then, this afternoon my
wife and I went to what used to be our favorite Chinese restaurant before I
was diagnosed.  I explained to the waitress that I had to be very careful
about what I ate.  She nodded and smiled, but it was pretty clear she didn't
know what I was saying.  Then I gave her the Chinese dining card.  She read
and read and then called over the woman behind the cash register.  The
waitress spoke to her in Chinese and they continued to read the card
together.  Then the waitress started translating the card into English,
listing out loud all the foods I can eat.  I agreed with her and she showed
me all the things I could have off their menu.  The meal was delicious and
again, completely gluten-free.

I cannot begin to express how grateful I was to have these two experiences.
And as pleased as I was, I was even happier for my wife because now we can
keeping her from enjoying her life in support of me.

I have no financial stake in the company that prints and distributes Triumph
Dining cards, but I want to encourage as many people as possible to go out
and buy them.  They are educating people in the restaurant business in an
important way, and they are one of the little things that allow Celiacs to
live life like everyone else does.

Richard Paul
Washington, DC