Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:27:09 -0500

implications of this are for celiacs.  His response is below:

Due to a current market shortage of wheat starch, the containers will be
made of corn starch. However, you bring up a very valid concern and at some
point the containers may be made of wheat starch. We are very sensitive to
the concerns that Celiac sufferers have regarding wheat-based products. I
spoke with Dr. Bassi of MGP Ingredients. MGP is a major supplier of wheat
starch. Dr. Bassi is very aware of the concerns about Celiac disease and
serves on an international committee that addresses this concern. Dr. Bassi
can be reached at MGP Ingredients at 800-255-0302. Let me summarize our
conversation. Wheat allergens are comprised of protein or wheat gluten. The
starch component itself is safe and would only be a risk if contaminated by
gluten. Dr. Bassi explained that current food regulations specify that
gluten levels below 200 ppm can be labelled "gluten free" and are deemed
safe for consumption by the general public. Wheat starch produced by MGP
has a protein level of 5 to 30 ppm which is well below the required 200 ppm
level. Our wheat starch containers are only about 50% wheat starch and they
have a film or coating on the container that provides moisture resistance.
It would also act as a barrier between the food product and the wheat
starch. Thus, a food product would not come into direct contact with the
wheat starch. As I mentioned earlier, the containers are currently being
made of corn starch. However, the containers would be safe, even for those
with wheat allergens, if the containers were made of wheat starch.

Regards,

Greg Glenn

At 12:05 PM 9/20/2004, you wrote:
>Dear Mr. Glenn,
>

>I just read the article, "Containers made from Wheat Starch", from the
>September 3, 2004 issue of the
>
>ARS News Service.
>

>As a recently diagnosed celiac, I am concerned about the implications
>this has for people with wheat allergies and/or gluten intolerance.
>

>Will these containers be clearly marked as being derived from wheat?

celia2004 nyc