From:
Charlene Kull <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charlene Kull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 13:32:53 -0500

I had asked if anyone out there knew of chain restaurants (besides Outback) that make a practice of helping us with a gluten-free menu. Here are summaries of the responses. Thank you to everyone who responded.

1. "Outback and Tony Roma are the only restaurants that dietitians have been given the opportunity to work with their menus to develop GF menus. Most restaurants don't have standardized recipes, so a dietitian can't develop GF menus for them. I have included a copy of the post sent with the GF items from Tony Romas. (below)"

Thank you for your inquiry regarding foods at Tony Roma's
restaurants that are free from wheat or wheat based vinegar products. The
following items=
DO NOT CONTAIN ANY wheat products:

>1. Tony Roma's Original barbecue sauce
>1. Tony Roma's Carolina Honeys=E2=84=A2 barbecue sauce
>3. Tony Roma's Red Hots=E2=84=A2 barbecue sauce
>4. Tony Roma's Blue Ridge Smokies=E2=84=A2 barbecue sauce
>5. Cole slaw dressing
>6. All salad dressings
>7. Ranch Style beans
>
>I'm sure some items are obvious to you like bread or flour
tortillas; however some, like our famous onion loaf, may not be obvious. Please
be aware our onion loaf and breaded appetizers DO contain wheat.
Our Potato Skins and Spinach Artichoke Dip DO NOT contain
wheat. The chips we serve with the Spinach Artichoke Dip are corn tortilla
chips. Please note that our French fries are cooked in the same
basket and oil as our breaded appetizers. There is no dedicated basket just for
French fries. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Thank you.
Carol McMullin ([log in to unmask])

2. "Yesterday someone on the list wrote in about a web site www.goodhealthpublishing.com that sells a book with restaurants with gf items."

3. "Wendy's chili is GF and also the baked potato. The corn chips are contaminated."

4. "I eat regularly at Applebees. I have the Blackened Chicken Salad, with mashed potatoes on the side. I have to decline the garlic bread and (in my case) the cheese."

5. "Since Outback spent 2 years and, I am sure a lot of time and expense to get us a gluten-free menu, I think we should patronize them all we can. Just we sure a take a copy of the menu from the bottom of their web page (www.outback.com) on the right, with you and -----ask for the Manager-----before you order. For some reason, these Managers are not giving the servers any information about the gluten free menu."

6. "I just returned from eating at PF Changs - I BELIEVE it's a chain restaurant. At least in East Lansing, MI, they actually have a typed GF menu. It was wonderful!!"

7. "The only other chain I know of is Wendy's that states some of their items are GF. The only ones I remember are chili and salad without the chicken and baked potatoes and
french fries is in dedicated greese!"

8. "Boston Market! I eat there regularly, and they've all been great."

9. "PFChang's will HAND you a GF menu at your request."

10. "One of our group (e-mail group in the St. Louis area) called Panera's and they sent her the list of GF items. Sorry that I gave you incorrect information the first time. Their list included:

Soups (source of modified food starch is corn)
Vegetarian Lentil
Vegetarian Black Bean
Savory Vegetable Bean
Potato Cream Cheese
Vegetarian Vegetable Gumbo
Mesa Vegatable Bean
Moroccan Tomato Lentil
Salads
(source of modified food starch is corn)
Greek Salad
Fandango Salad
Caesar Salad (without croutons)
Asian Sesame Chicken Salad (without won-ton noodles)=20
Classic salad
Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad -w/chicken=20"

These are the summaries. I'd still ask at each restaurant to make sure, but this is a good start.

Charlene