From:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jupiter Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:10:33 -0800

Here's some tips people sent me to get me started with less stress. Thanks
to everyone...

Avoid all refined sugar, too.  That should help with the fatigue.  If you
have an insatiable sweet tooth, try fresh pineapple (also has good tummy
enzymes) as well as fresh dates, which are currently in season.

Easiest thing to do:  Keep it simple.  Stick to fresh, steamed or lightly
sauteed produce and baked or broiled protein.  Feel free to use fresh herbs
and/or McCormick's spices (all GF except the mixes) for some flavor.  Things
in the mint family are particularly good for stomach problems as is cumin.
___________________

Breakfast:

Hot chocolate
Popcorn cake spread with peanut butter and jelly

Mid-morning snack:

Small box of raisins
Yoplait yogurt

Lunch:

Orange juice and diet 7-up mixed half and half
A cup of DRY Sugar Corn Pops cereal
Maybe a piece of fruit

Dinner:

Plain basic meat
Some kind of starch (such as potatoes or rice)
Vegetable

___________________
You can limit yourself to unprocessed fruit, vegetables, potatoes, rice, and
meat, no add ons unless you KNOW the add ons are gluten free, you'll be
gluten-free. There is wheat contamination in the oddest products.

_________________

 suggest buying a gf cereal for breakfast - rice chex or rice krispies both
gf are my favorites or eggs. My pancake recipe is really simple! I ate baked
potatoes with real butter or milk (if you can do dairy and probably you
shouldn't for a month or two). Then stick to cooked vegetables, plain meats
(probably better if you stayed away from beef as in ND most of what you buy
in restaurants or at the store is injected with hvp) Jan from ND
Marg Witz Rice Flour Pancakes - Very Good!

Beat 2 eggs, add 1 c. buttermilk and mix. Measure 1 c rice flour, add 2 tbsp
sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda. Add dry ingredients to liquid
ingredients and mix. Then add 2 tbsp melted butter. (You may want to double
this recipe as your family will find them very tasty)

______________

The first week you want to stay with only very safe things: Grilled chicken,
mashed, baked, or boiled potatoes, fresh steamed vegetables added after the
first three days to make sure one of them won't hurt you, add them one day
at a time.  If you find you are craving sweets like mad, Breyer's makes a
lactose free ice cream that amazed me by not making me gurgly, a sensation I
associated so closely with the ice cream experience it was weird not to have
it.  Of course, this won't help if you are allergic to casein in addition to
being lactose intolerant which most of us newly GF tend to be.

Safe things you can get already prepared from the grocery store include
Bush's beans (but none of their chili products), most tuna in a can,
Wishbone Italian dressings, all Kraft products will least wheat if it is in
there.

For a really good list of products, try:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start

____________________

AM:
Scrambled or hard boiled eggs, fruit

Snack: unbuttered popcorn, popcorn cakes (quaker butter)
             Lays chips, fruit

Lunch:  white rice, chicken cooked in Good seasons italian dressing,
       hot dog (hebrew national only) or hamburger, (no roll)

Dinner: Steak, salad, baked potatoe, corn on the cob
             or chicken cooked in GF chicken broth......
________________

Suggestions for basic eating in the beginning - foods easy on the tummy -
potatoes, chicken, chicken soup, mild Thai rice noodles, soft veggies like
autumn and summer squashes (Birdseye frozen veggies (no sauce) have no flour
in packaging), or carrots cooked in orange juice (Minutemaid is gf). Plain
white rice (Lundburg is all g-f). Scrambled eggs. Starkist Tuna in a pouch.
Hellman's mayo.

Eventually I added in beef (Colman's) and sauted veggies - but i still find
I have to avoid the sulphur family: cannot handle onions, garlic, brocolli,
cabbage yet -

For calcium and dairy - Yoplait yogurts (especially custard style) are very
soothing. I drink Lactaid milk and my big treat is Haagen Dazs ice cream
(Dulce Le Leche!) Sargento shredded cheeses are g-f (except the Taco blend
and imitation mozzarella) - I use the mild cheddar on Mission White Corn
Tortillas (stae "Gluten Free right on the label!) for a tasty little snack -
briefly warm them in a pan with a little olive oil, add cheese, and fold
over till melted - we also make little quesadillas with them. (add cooked
chicken, veggies etc.)

Potato pancakes also make an easy quick meal - I use the Manischewitz brand,
and might serve them with Motts Applesauce and Land-O-Lakes (reg) sour
cream, or Sheltons Turkey Sausages.

I make my own huumus - that's a convenient snack, if you can handle the
chick peas. Kame Rice Crakers are easy to find, and not bad! For hummus or
Rondele Herb Cheese spead.

Rice cakes and peanut butter are a stand-by - but I got bored with that
quickly. Carnation Instant Breakfast is g-f (except for the malt) and makes
a good milkshake-like pick-me-up. (I have to take a Lactaid Ultra with it,
though - it has lactose.).
________________

corn tortilla w/ cheese and a hot dog. This helped me out for the first few
months when I was too tired to cook!
________________

 x 13 pan, 375 degrees.
place 2 cups raw white rice, 4 cups water, then 6-8 pieces raw chicken. Over
that
put salt, pepper, garlic, any herbs you like. You could chop onions
muchrooms, or
peppers, or zuccini of you want over the top. Cover tightly with foil and
bake for
about an hour. Take out and let set ten minutes to let any water left be
absorbed
into the rice. 5 minutes prep time, and you can even serve it to guests with
a nice
salad on the side and fruit and cheese for dessert, and no one will even
notive it
is a GF dinner!

___________

Breakfast -- Gluten free cereal by Nature's Path with milk
Snack -- GF bread (Food for life) with Almond butter or egg salad (with Best
Foods Mayo) -- TOAST the bread first otherwise tastes awful
Lunch -- GF noodles (basically pure corn noodles boiled with green beans,
hamburger/chicken (make it in the morning and warm for lunch)
Snack -- yogurt and applesauce with rice crackers
Dinner -- Baked potato or rice plain with hamburger/chicken and corn.

for the forst 6 mos my diet consisted of salmon and mild fish, very
well cooked beef (pot roast or stew), eggs, homemade soups and broths, creme
of rice, white rice, potato, fruit smoothies with rice milk.  No raw foods,
no intense fiber, no fats, no dairy, no soy, no processed foods.  As I
healed my tolerance increased to the point where now, 8 months later, I am
tolerant of all the above except dairy and soy on occaision.