From:
Lisa McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:43:51 -0600

This is a recipe I got from my mother-in-law.  I just love it.  I have
altered it slightly since I wasn't sure if the rosewater I used to use
is GF.  That might be a topic for discussion.  I used GF almond
flavoring from Bickford Flavors.

Plain Rice Pudding:

3 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup rice, washed and drained*
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon rosewater or orange blossom water
1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds for decoration

Bring the milk and sugar to the boil.  Add the rice, mixed with the
water, and stir until it comes to the boil again.  Turn down the heat to
a low simmer and cook gently until the mixture becomes very creamy --
approximately 45 minutes.  (Add a little more milk during cooking if
necessary.)
Add the rosewater or orange water, stirring until bubbles appear on the
surface.  Remove from the heat and cool slightly, then pour into a bowl
and refrigerate.
Serve chilled, decorated with slivered almonds.

*Be sure to use Watermaid rice.
Also, I leave off the almonds, but that's a personal choice.