From:
Ian Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 15:41:01 -0600

Dear Listmembers,

Sorry this summary is so late in coming, but I've been caring for sick
family members.

Most people who responded about behavioral changes in themselves or their
children said that usually the first indication that they've had a gluten
accident is behavioral changes for the worst.  Everything from very
irritable, cries about every little thing, very clingy and sometimes
aggressive, depressed, very emotional, is extremely tired, dark circles under
the eyes, adversely affecting school work, it affects ability to concentrate,
becomes moody and difficult to be around, complains about everything, becomes
irritated and then later tearful and kind of depressed about everything,
perhaps pessimistic is a better description than depressed.  This is exactly
what I witnessed in our daughter.

About nitrites, nitrates, sulfites, artificial colors, etc.  most people
wrote in that they or their children are affected by these, perhaps because
their systems are sensitive due to the celiac.  Some adults said after a
long time being GF it does not affect them.  Some people said to stay away
for life.  Some people said that they witnessed the behavior changes, dark
circles under eyes, etc when these things are ingested, just like a gluten
slip.  We have noticed these things too.  We are now using only food items
without these additives.  Someone did suggest that there is a book called
"A Consumer's Dictionary Of Food Additives" by Ruth Winter, M.S.   The cost
was about 12.00.  There is a lot of information about sulfites, etc. and
how they affect the body.  BTW, there is also a book called A Consumer's
Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients by the same author.  I hope this helps.

Bev Wahl in Chicago, IL USA