From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:41:14 -0700

Dextrose is a refined sugar that is uaually made from corn, but can be
made from wheat or any other starch.  I asked if dextrose in IV solutions
was safe.  These are some of the responses I received:

-------------------------

I have had it many times because I have had many surgeries. It may bother
you if you are allergic to corn  as it is pure corn. But it may bypass
the intestines and not bother you at all.

-------------------------

Yes it is safe.

-------------------------

You do not have to worry about any gluten in IV medications, or lotions
(unless you have DH) or anything that is not INGESTED via the mouth.  You
have to worry about toothpaste, lipsticks etc... because you can swallow
them.  This info. comes from a physician who is an international expert
on CD. (The CSA gives inaccurate info. They list anything that anyone has
ever had a reaction to, as being unsafe for Celiacs.)

-------------------------

Good question!  I know that dextrose IVs make me deathly ill (dizzy,
nauseated, pukey, etc) but had made the connection through the sugar, not
gluten.  Will have to grab a dextrose bag and check the ingredients.

-------------------------

It is 100% safe.

Steven Plogsted, Pharm.D.

Clinical Pharmacist
Nutrition Support Service

-------------------------

I know that not all celiacs would agree with this statement.  But, to the
best of my knowledge (that is everything I have read from a scientific
source not personal experience) in order for a celiac to have a problem
with gluten it must come in contact with the digestive system.  An IV is
feed right into the blood stream and should not contact the digestive
system.  Therefore, and IV even if it contained gluten should be safe.

I even read someplace and I do not remember where that if you are in an
emergency room and cannot find out if the medication they want to give
you is GF ask for an IV dose of the medicine.  That way if it does
contain gluten it will not cause any problems.