From:
Uri Markus - The Write Connecti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 19:21:11 +0200

Since I posted the first batch of responses, those that have bread
machines may find these contributions helpful as well. Again, I
appreciate all the advice I was given concerning my new purchase.

======================
Mix the wet ingredients and dry seperately and well and
make sure your water is not over 85 degrees (too hot makes the yeast
work to
fast for gf flours).

======================
I don't have a bread machine, but my (non-CD) friend *lives* by hers.
And she never, never, never bakes it in the machine.  She has a Wellbilt
that can be programmed to stop before it bakes.  At that point she takes
it out, shapes it  (loaf, focaccia, braid, breadsticks, rolls, pizza
dough, whatever)  and bakes it in the oven.  She feels the results are
far superior since that's the way bread is supposed to be baked - with
hot air *circulating* around it.

======================
(1) Mix the flours and Xanthum gum first, thoroughly, with a wisp
and spoon (to lift flours off the bottom).  I usually wisp for
several minutes.  I find that if I shorten this time, the loaf
doesn't rise so well.

(2) Mix in the rest of the dry ingredients, then if your kitchen
is cool, microwave them for 30-60 seconds to get them up to
80-85 degrees (not hotter, or the loaf will fall).

(3) Put a little oil over the outside of the paddle, then mix and
pour into the baking pan the wet ingredients.  Make sure these are
warm, too.

(4) Add the dry ingredients and start the dough cycle.

(5) Aftet the dough cycle completes, bake for 70 minutes.  This
requires stopping the bake after 20 minutes and restarting.  Be
very sure you don't open the machine during baking!  (But I
know you wouldn't do that!)

I don't use potato and corn starch like the Welbilt recipe book
says - I substitute an equal amount of tapioca flour.  I think
this improves the taste, but that's a personal matter.  I did
try leaving out the tapioca flour once - just white and brown
rice flour - and the texture was all wrong.

====================
To avoid the hole in the bottom of the loaf, simply use tongs to take out
the paddle after the mixing cycle.  It is a little messy to do at first, but
eventually becomes easy and produces a better loaf with an entire extra
slice.  Try practicing taking the paddle out before you actually put dough in
the machine so you can get a feel for how it comes out.  That will make it
easier to do when you are actually making a loaf.

===================

I have a Welbuilt with the same kind of blade, is after I have put the
ingredient in (first the yeast, then the dry, and then the wet
ingredients) is mixed up the batter when the blade is doing that and
then taken the blade out later - or to avoid that mess, just take the
blade out before beginning, and mixing the ingredients by hand.  I also
have put a sheet of foil on top of the ingrediants after I have mixed
them, when I had problems with the loaf not cooking all the wayu though,
and I have reduced the amount of water I have used a tad.

Someone also suggested heating the ingredients just a tad in the
microwave. SOmeone else also suggested that I use only the freshest
yeast.

Hope this helps anyone with problems with the machine like I've had.

Sharon Marcus