From:
Eleanor Symonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 02:33:59 -0400

A while back, I asked about "non-celiac gluten intolerance".  I got a few
replies, and the summary is that nobody seems to know for sure whether or not
such a thing exists!  In any case, the only reliable treatment is the same as
for CD - the 100% GF diet.

A few people asked what the term means, or where I heard about it. I first heard
of the concept from a gastroenterologist, who told me that some people who
don't test positive for celiac have a "gluten intolerance".  I.e.:

1) they only have digestive symptoms
2) might be able to eat small amounts of gluten if tolerated
3) wouldn't have to worry about vitamin deficiency or long-term complications

I've never heard this scenario mentioned anywhere else, so it sounds a bit
dubious to me.

Then there's the research (mentioned recently on the list) about gluten
sensitivity causing neurological problems, even in the absence of CD.
This would also be a type of "non-celiac gluten intolerance".

It also seems like part of the problem is that CD is defined on the basis of
biopsy results, but recent posts have suggested that the biopsy isn't really
the "gold standard" in all cases (due to patchy villi damage, doctors
interpreting results differently, etc.).

Sorry this doesn't do much to clarify the issue - except to highlight what we
don't know!

Eleanor