From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:35:52 -0500

Over 30 women (in two days) wrote to me about my posting on a doctor columnist who told a 74 year old, recently widowed woman that her increasing reflux and irritable bowel symptoms are all in her head and that she should take an antidepressant or sedatives.

Some said they wrote to the doctor, as I did. One said she wrote to the Philadelphia Inquirer, in which the column appeared this week.

Almost all shared experiences of having been demeaned or blown off by male doctors who told them their symptoms were in their head and recommend pills.

For those who asked that I forward the article again...sorry. The URL is now telling me, too, that I have to sign up for news email. I don't want the news email.

Suffice to say, too many of us have lived that column. The good news is that new medical students are actually being told about celiac in school. This came from different sources. Hopefully, it will become widespread.

Thanks. Lin