From:
Liz Humes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Liz Humes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 10:46:45 -0400

Dear list mates,

My 7 year old second grader just returned back to school this year after an
entire year off to heal form celiac after being diagnosed at the end of last
summer (2006).

He had the big belly and the tiny arms, and had begun to deteriorate in all
aspects of functioning and had become overly anxious and ADHD like all the
time before we figured out what it was.

He is now beginning back to school.

On the e very first day he had a soy milk (my bad, I was so happy to see the
tiny containers of milk he could have and must not have checked thoroughly)
which had wheat in it!

For him exposure is worst after three days, and lasts for up to ten days. I
kept him home on the third day (and was glad) but he went in today feeling
lousy (he gets overall depression, muscle ataxia, malaise etc.nausea) He has
an aide in school to help him get acclimated, because his anxiety about
school is so high (he went unsupported and sick for so many years, and was
often punished by th school for not being able to do things that they felt
they knew he was capable of.

My question is, has anyone else had any sort of struggle with this related
to anxiety, and or ADHD like behaviors, and how did you handle it in school.
Did you have a plan for when the child is exposed?

What things help to recover? Anyone else have such a long recovery time?, my
son has constipation, not the other, and since we started right away on the
diet we have no positive confirmation of celiac, so there is always this
nagging question of is this really it? Or is something else going on?

Any experience would be helpful, as I feel pretty isolated in my struggles
to advocate for my son who is trying so hard to be in school when he feels
like &^%$.

Success stories and other info very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Liz

Columbia Maryland