From:
Julie Bort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:27:16 -0700

Hello all,
I got many responses to my query on GF Jewish foods. Thanks to all!

Here's a summary:

Various people told me that the frozen variety of gefilte fish is usually
GFUnger's brand, Season and Benzi's were named. Jarred fish is GF around
Passover, by Kedem, Meal Mart, Streit's.

Also, some of the Kosher food stores that serve Orthodox Jews have a wider
variety of GF foods around Passover because many of their customers follow
the precept of eating only Matzo crackers and not any matzo meal at all. One
example is Knaidel Mix by Lieber's Chocolate & Food, Brooklyn NY 11232 --
made from potatoes. "Non Gebrokts" on these foods means "no matzo meal."

Matzo Balls are of course the trickiest. Several people told me about
Matzo balls from the potato pancake mixes (like Carmel) but only a few
liked them.  Linda G. and Marcy both said there's a great recipe from
Paskez Passover crumbs on the box. Also, Bette Hagman's mock matzo ball
recipe, from ground almonds, a few matzo ball recipes and other Jewish
recipes in the archives, like this one
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9604A&Liliac&P=R308

Bev says to use the Manischevitz potato pancake mix add about 1/4 gf
breadcrumbs.  Refrigerate for about 30 minutes "and drop by very large
tablespoonfuls into hot soup or water." Don't make them too small or
they fall apart.

Marian makes them from 1/2 C cream of rice cereal, 1 T oil, 1/2 t baking
powder and 1 egg. Fridge for 30 and into boiling water. Better if they are
left overnight in the chicken soup broth.

Donna's friend makes GF mandelbroit ... she didn't share the recipe but let
me know if you want it and I'll prod her to post it.

Beth Hillson from the Gluten-Free Panty has several recipes in her book
Gluten-Free Pantry Companion, and also some posted on her company's Web
site. She sent me "un-Matzo" balls made from instant potatoes, Challa thick
enough to braid. She's also got recipes for Gefillte Fish, Potato Latkes,
Hamantaschen, and honey cake.

Sue from New Zealand recommends a Jewish cook book by Claudia Roden
which has some good wheat-free Sephardi recipes. She also says that,
with practice, rice flour makes good blintzes.

Again, thanks to all and hope the rest of you enjoy your next "food" holiday
as much as we will.

Julie