Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:19:45 -0400

Thank you all for your comments on chickpea flour - I am going to use the flour to make the tortilla recipe in the latest issue of Living Without. If the tortillas turn out to be good, I will report.

Below are all the comments I received about chickpea flour.
Could you take dry chickpeas and grind them in a mill, food processor
or coffee grinder?  I know you can't grind chocolate or oily nuts but how
about dry garbanzos?

I don't know if it will help you on your search but... gram flour is
actually lentil flour. Garbanzo flour is also called Channa flour or
simply "besan".

Also, I am not sure about the place where you live, but here (abq new
mexico) you can purchase lentil flour (gram flour) or garbanzo flour
(channa flour aka besan) directly through several of the Indian food
restaurants in town.  Some of them actually grind their own, which is
extra nice if you are concerned about cross contamination.

---------------------------
I buy chickpea and sorghum flour at an Indian grocery.
-------------------------
I just go to an Indian grocery store to buy it.  Don't know where you
are, or whether there is one in your area.  The foods are cheap, and my
favorite stores have many different brands of gram flour.  I've used a
number, haven't a clue which is best.  No reaction to any.

I haven't tried that brand, although I have used their whole chickpeas to
grind my own.

You can also ask your grocer to special order Bob's Red Mill garbanzo flour
(they make it plain as well as mixed with fava).

I use their flour with no ill effect. I have not contacted them recently.
You might try using their contact form, at
<http://www.rajafoods.com/feedback.asp> (old site) or
<http://www.rajafoods.com/rajafoodsnew/feedbackform.asp> (new site), rather
than the email address. There are also phone numbers listed in Skokie, IL
and Maspeth, NY on the old site, at <http://www.rajafoods.com/contact.asp>,
as well as the phone numbers listed on the new site, which I'm sure you saw.