From:
Hal Grotevant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 1996 17:28:32 -0500

At 12:08 AM 6/8/96 -0400, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>My father has CD. He lives in a small town with no convenient access to
>health food stores. The local supermarkets offer large varieties of cold
>cereal. I would like to find out from other list members what mainstream
>cereals are acceptable (if any). Cocoa puffs looks OK. Please advise and give
>suggestions as to others. Also, I have seen some discussion re caramel
>flavoring. Please detail. Thanks in advance!

Several years ago, I enjoyed Kenmei Rice Bran, I believe put out by
Kellogg. Unfortunately, I can't find it on the shelves any more. But it did
say "gluten free" on the package. I called customer service at Kellogg (or
one of the big cereal makers) several years back, and asked why they hadn't
designated other cereals that looked gluten free from the ingredients as
such. They said that sometimes cereals that don't contain gluten are made on
the same conveyor belts or with the same equipment as gluten-containing
cereal, so because there might be contamination, they don't designate these
as gluten free. For particulars, I'd recommend calling the manufacturers.
Most have an 800 number listed on the box.

Hal Grotevant       [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Family Social Science      voice: (612) 624-3756
University of Minnesota            fax: (612) 625-4227
1985 Buford Ave.
St. Paul, MN  55108