From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 21:13:06 EDT

  A listmember wrote: "Ayn does not have celiac disease.  Her biopsy was
negative.  I feel that Ayn needs to be discussing her problems with her
doctor.  Abdominal pain of unknown origin and loss of friendships over this
suggests something else to me." (I understand this member wasn't trying to be
harsh, and only expressing her concern that Ayn seek further help from her
doctor--an issue several other members have already addressed--but there is a
greater overtone of not discussing her problems as her illness isn't
medical-establishment-certified, regardless of the total Being pain she is
experiencing.   Forgive me if I misinterpreted this, but I think the issue is
important, nonetheless).

  Suggesting that we not share and discuss Ayn's problem, whether she has
Celiac or not, simply because she isn't Certified Celiac, is an aggressive
slam of the door.  Let's keep the door open to let people feel free to
discuss their pain and loss of friends, regardless of their Certification,
and our continuing discussion is theraputic and gives a gravity of
perspective for us all.  This is something all of us as Celiac,
to-be-diagnosed Celiac, wheat and gluten inolerant and others who are
experiencing problems and are so bewildered they reach out for any help and
suppport and advice they can receive, are sensitive to and have a great
emotional storehold we have suffered and triumphed through.  These are themes
that reach beyond the realm of the multitude of illnesses experienced by
people on this list--it is an issue of all humanity.  Let's not lose sight of
that.