From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 15:00:28 -0500

On Dec 01, 1995 20:55:42, 'Beverley Sokulsky <[log in to unmask]>'
wrote:

>has been addressed by NSW Ceoliac Society and patron medical
>practitioners. They say that a diagnosised Coeliac, stil ingesting
>gluten, increases the risk of bowel cancer & lymphoma, to
>themselves by several more percentage points than the normal
>population.

Yes, unlike the damage to the intestinal walls, the cancer risk is totally
cumulative. The seeds are continualy planted as more gluten is eaten. BUT:
total risk of cancer is only doubled on a normal full gluten containing
diet. Hence if I knock out 95% of the gluten from a "normal diet", then I'd
have merely an extra 5% chance of getting cancer. At that level I've got
better things to do than chase after every last possible speck of gluten.

The error bars on the doubling are wide, given the limited sampling, true.
Frankly, I'd worry more about effects of whatever low level I might be
eating from nutritional deprivation than from cancer. At least that can be
measured.

                      Kemp Randolph
                      Long Island