From:
Deborah Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 07:06:34 -0800

Listmates:

Forgive me if this question is a little off-topic for
this list.  I'm not aware of a listserv dealing
exclusively with the casein issue (if anyone is, I'd
appreciate the info).

I recently ran across this definition (online) of
casein which identifies it as a protein in legumes as
well as milk:

casein

 \Ca"se*in\, n. [Cf. F. cas['e]ine, fr. L. caseur
cheese. Cf. Cheese.] (Physiol. Chem.) A proteid
substance present in both the animal and the
 vegetable kingdom. In the animal kingdom it is
chiefly found in milk, and constitutes the main part
of the curd separated by rennet; in the
 vegetable kingdom it is found more or less abundantly
in the seeds of leguminous plants. Its reactions
resemble those of alkali albumin.
 [Written also caseine.]

 Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, ©
1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

After going GF and clearing dairy from my diet, I
realized right away I was also sensitive to peanuts
and other legumes.  I thought this was just an
"additional sensitivity" that is peculiar to some of
us, possibly due to "leaky gut," since I was
definitely the most symptomatic in our family.  But,
now we've discovered that peanuts and other legumes
seem to be causing milder, but still perceptible,
symptoms in every family member.  When I stumbled on
this definition, I thought it might be an explanation.
 But, I have not found a discussion of casein from
plant sources in the St. John's Autism archives, and
it doesn't seem to be considered an issue in producing
GF/CF foods, or, from what I can tell, on the GFCFdiet
web page.

Can anyone shed more light on this for me?

Deborah in OKC