From:
Tanya Heikkinen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 1994 20:57:10 -0700

On Sat, 3 Dec 1994
 Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have heard it said some people who have allergies to wheat, as opposed to
> gluten intolerance, can tolerate spelt....but I have never met such a
> person...are any of you subscribers to the celiac list?

I'm not such a person, but we have many customers of our bakery who are.
I have talked with people who are allergic to wheat, but not spelt.

This brings up a question I had - Is gluten a specific protein?  That is,
is the gluten in wheat the exact same protein as that found in spelt,
rye, barley, etc.?

Tanya Heikkinen