From:
Barbara Jean Kuehl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 1995 12:02:31 -0500

I've seen it mentioned on this newsline that some people get almost
immediate reactions after they have eaten something with gluten in it,
while others have delayed reactions.  I would like to comment on my
reaction and then pose a question to everyone else.

I was diagnosed as gluten intolerant (no biopsyp) @10 years ago.  I
immediately went on a glutenfree diet but found that I was also
intolerant to dairy products (and maybe some other stuff) for the
first year afterwards.  It was explained to me that the damage done
to my intestinal lining also made it hard for me to digest other
sugars and proteins besides gluten but that this would pass (pu
pun unintended) as my gut began to heal.

Now, when I inadvertantly eat something with gluten in it, I don't
notice anything unusual until about 24 hours later when my guts start
to become unusually 'gurgly'.  Diarrhea follows and, for about 1-2
days more, I am tied to the bathroom.  During this time, I find that
I am very hungry and thirsty but eating doesn't satisfy the hunger.
Once the diarrhea starts to subside, I get an achy feeling across my
lower back (below waistline) which remains for about 2 days. During
this time, I feel very depressed and intolerant of others, but I can't
say whether that response is directly related to the gluten or just to
4 days of bloating, diarrhea and pain, things that might cause anyone
to get a wee bit cranky.

Here's my question.  Those who have an immediate response to eating
gluten (i.e., within the same day) versus those who have a delayed
response (like mine)...how long have you been glutenfree?  Could the
immediate responders be those who are still suffering from the
healing process following prolonged gluten exposure while the delayed
responders are those who have been glutenfree for a longer length of
time (presumably their gut has had a chance to heal)?

BJ