From:
Charles Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 07:50:15 -0500

I got several replies about posting that Budweiser is not g/f and the
reply by Carolyn from the Beer Fox.

Here are some of the comments, and I answered each one:

There are tests for gluten in foods. Has anyone used them to test Bud?

I'd like to point out that the article about brewing has nothing at all to
do with distilled liquors.

While I have not personally tried Budweiser I think it is great that you
caused this discussion to take place.

One person wanted permission to publish the whole article in his
publication.  I don’t see where this would

be a problem as Google celiac news alerts posted it immediately without my
consent and that was my intent

to admit that I should not have told people that Bud was g/f and the CSA
says all beer has gluten, excluding

the new g/f beers. And to the person who said I should point out that
Budweiser doesn’t do the E1a

test.  It was in the letter I sent to Carolyn and that is why she did a
whole paragraph on the E1a.  And Bud

admitted that in a phone conservation after I waited several days for him
to “find out.”  The person that answers the phone when you call that 1-800
number just reads a prepared statement I believe.

As for distilled liquors I stick to Smirnoff. The labels says: “Distilled
from premium grain products.”  That means

corn and they have a list of about 25 g/f vodkas, gin, rum etc.  I lost
the list when our computer crashed.

Our new celiac support group will meet in Charleston, SC for the second
time Monday ! I'm thrilled.

Charlie