From:
Kelli Wages <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 22:03:15 -0500

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my question about how much
gluten (and how much time before) to consume before an endoscopy.  I had
the fence, wondering who to believe.

So, here are the responses:

About half of you said, "why bother" with the test.  Just stay GF, since
after consuming gluten, I have all kinds of CD symptoms.

And just about the other half said that eating gluten before the test is
a must so the doctor can see the damage.

Many said your results came back normal, so an endoscope isn't 100%
accurate.

As far as how much gluten to consume, the numbers were all over the map.
 I had responses from 1 slice of bread per day, 2 slices per day, and
all the way up to 4 slices per day or equivalent.  One person told me to
eat gluten liberally.

And as far as how long before the test:  anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks
prior.

One person said to eat no gluten at all and if there is villi damage,
it'll show up on the biopsy.

The main reason I am having the endoscopy is so I know if I truly have
CD or if it's just an intolerance to gluten.  I already know wheat makes
me feel ill and makes me gain weight (the more wheat I eat, the bigger
my stomach gets).  I want to know if I can eat gluten in small amounts
(like in salad dressings, protein bars, etc.) without it harming my
health and causing cancer.  And I'll know how viligent I'll need to be
when eating out.  I will always avoid wheat and most carbs because I
can't seem to keep the weight off if I eat them, even in moderation.

Thank you to all who responded.  I hope I covered everything.

Kelli/Michigan
"Once you know where you're goin', just climb in the
saddle and stay on the trail 'til you get there."  - From "Never Ask A
Man The Size Of His Spread" by Gladiola Montana