From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2007 12:33:56 -0500

A number of years ago, I bought (updated version now available) a book by Paula Begoun. It's called, Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me. I bought it to have ready access to ingredients to avoid gluten. While I recommended the book to the listserv, I never explored her website and her products. Today, I happened to be googling for cosmetics that are gluten-free and do not use animal-testing, and it came back to Paula's Choice, the author's brand.

I have no connection to Paula's Choice or the author, and gain nothing by recommending her. In fact, I have yet to order anything. (If any of you use them, let me know what you think.) Oh..and her products are fragrance-free, which is essential for my asthma.

Please don't slam me for Paula's saying that some celiacs can tolerate some gluten. My interpretation is that she's talking about topical rather than ingestion, as she says, which is true...gluten doesn't go through the skin...and oats aren't an issue for many of us. But I avoid obvious gluten in all products anyway. My thinking is if I put something on my hands and then handle food, it's as bad as eating it.

Lin

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/    from her FAQ listing:

"I have Celiac disease. Which Paula's Choice products contain the wheat or gluten ingredients I should avoid?
The majority of Paula's Choice products are gluten-free; however, the following items do contain wheat and/or gluten:
  a.. Lip & Body Treatment Balm, Moisturizing Lipscreen SPF 15, and Skin Balancing Moisture Gel all contain wheat germ oil.
  b.. All Over Hair & Body Shampoo and Hydrating Treatment Cream contain wheat protein.
  c.. Beautiful Body Butter and Silky Start Sugar Scrub contain either oat kernel extract or oat flour (keep in mind that research has shown most Celiacs can tolerate oats in any form).
  Smooth Finish Conditioner contains wheat amino acids.
  d.. Brow/Hair Tint contains wheat protein and oligosacharrides.
  e.. Super Antioxidant Concentrate contains oat beta-glucan, which is a type of yeast derived from oats. Note: this may be OK for Celiacs-please check with your doctor.
  f.. HydraLight Moisture Infusing Lotion contains oat kernal extract, which is a topical anti-irritant.
Please note: Some Celiacs can tolerate a mild amount of wheat or gluten (which would be the case with cosmetics) and topical exposure is different from ingestion. However, Paula's Choice recommends that you always consult with your physician if there is any doubt."