From:
"Benjamin J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 22:27:38 -0500

> I have to say, I really admire Ann Maureen's gusto. And I think she and
> Cliff bring up some wonderful points for discussion. Really, they both
> represent a  whole lot of attitudes that we need to understand out there
> in the real world.
[snip]
> I also agree with Evelyn that the common name of this particular food
> intolerance--celiac disease--is terribly misleading. The first time I
> heard
[snip]

> What can we do about this? Should we lobby to change the name? Have a >
> huge brainstorming session to create a new, accurate, and positive name?
> If I grew  up  having to describe myself as "diseased," I would have had
> a much harder time feeling positive about myself. However, I didn't mind
> telling people that I  was allergic to chocolate and seafood.

I have to say that I love having both terms, "Celiac Disease" and "gluten
intolerance".  When I am with a group that seems to be sympathetic and
understanding, I use the term "gluten intolerance."  However, there are
times when I either hear or get the feeling that people don't understand
what "one little piece" can do, that the terms "disease" and "poison" seem
to bring the message home.

ben