Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:48:43 -0600

-------------------------------

And here is Summary #3) some of the anecdotal replies:

-------------------------------

- According to CSA about 1 in 5 of their members are sensitive to
canola.

- According to info I've found, canola has specific proteins called
lectins (but not gluten) which can irritate mucous membranes in
suspectible individuals.

- Cross-contamination by processing machinery could be a contributing
factor. Such as, processing corn oils, wheat, soy, and other oils.  I
use only Phillipo Berio olive oil, who have confirmed they bottle only
olive oil.

- Don't know the answer to your question (I will be interested in your
summary) but I do know that even tiny amounts of canola oil make our
celiac daughter ill.

- Good question. When canola oil first came out the Canadian government
said it was NOT gf because it is rapeseed grown on fallow wheat fields
and was contaminated from the ground up. I found I reacted to it and
stay away from it.

- Never tested it but time after time of consuming it and I stay away
from it.

- Canola is made from a plant related to mustard. It isn't even a grass
grain. There is no way that canola, per se, would contain any of the
glutens to which people with celiac are sensitive. It's therefore
unlikely that anyone would test it as a matter of course unless they
suspected cross-contamination.

- Cross-contam could happen easily in the field, or in the harvest
machinery, or in the elevator.

- It is my understanding that canola is grown on fallow wheat fields,
and that it is well known that lots of wheat is harvested along with the
canola. The canola processors feel that because the size of the
seeds/grains is so different, there is no wheat in the material that is
actually processed for oil. However, when I read through the whole
process (which looks diabolical and uses a lot of high heat, meaning
most canola oil is probably not healthful), I do not see any mention of
an actual cleaning - so, seems to me the cross-contamination from the
field is never really taken out of the equation. Certainly when my son
was exquisitely sensitive to gluten he reacted exactly the same way to
"gluten free" products with canola oil, so I've always been highly
suspicious of canola oil.

-  It is not even a matter of dedicated equipment. Prevailing winds
dictate that wheat, barley, and rye will deposit seeds naturally in
fields of oats (or anything else that might be growing). Some here might
not like being aware of this, but it is a fact of nature.

- I have never tested Canola oil, but when I eat anything with Canola
oil in it I get sick. That is all the testing that I need.

- I have been a Celiac for 18 years and also am very sensitive. I have
never been able to eat anything with Canola oil in it. Some people can
eat it, and the Canola people maintain that it is GF. My suspicion is
that it is contaminated in the field. It is also very cheap and I guess
that is why these chip makers and salad dressing makers continue to use
it. I would pay the extra money if they would use a good corn oil or
olive oil.

- When you come right down to it. The fact is that everyone should avoid
canola oil, celiac or not! Once and for all there is no such thing as
canola plant, it is rapeseed, from the mustard family. It is used in
herbicdes and pesticides because its level of toxicity is great for
killing bugs,(aphids, fruit worms etc.) It is high in eurasic acid which
can be detrimental to your thyroid and who knows what else. Get rid of
it do not give it to anyone else, just throw it out! Canada sold the
rights to it to the U.S. Hence Canada oil (Canola oil). It is used
everywhere because it is CHEAP! That is all it has going for it.

- I don't know if it is gf or not. However, I have had to stop using it
because of the gluten type effects I get.

Janice.