From:
swohletz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:49:38 -0700

Here is the summary of the responses I got about frozen french fries and hash browns.

Several people reminded me that eating french fries out is dicey because gluten containing foods are usually cooked in the same oil.  If they use oil dedicated only for french fries, then it's ok.

For grocery store buying, here were the suggestions:
--read the ingredients and stay away from modified food starch
--call 877 csa4csa and get a product listing book
--http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFfoodlist.pdf is a grocery list that is updated every few months
--Alexia brand www.alexiafoods.com  (apparently some have found them at costco) http://www.alexiafoods.com/products/organics_main.htm says their potatoes are gluten free, right on the container,  and many health food stores have other brands that are just potatoes with no chemicals added
--the Denver Metro chapter has a gluten free product list....trying to find out how to get one
--whole foods has some gluten free potatoes and tater tots
--I was told that most of Ore-Ida and McCain www.mccainusa.com are gluten free.  Ore-Ida http://www.southernarizonaceliacsupport.org/NSL5Page6.pdf  will tell you barcodes to look for, as it depends which plant they are made in.  You can get gluten free listings by going on their website or calling/emailing them.
--some expressed concern that some companies dust the fries with flour and don't put it in their ingredients list....???
--some people suggested buying your own fryers in a kitchen store and using your own oil....wow that's impressive!  They said you can even reuse the oil by straining it immediately into a clean heat proof container (stainless steel or pyrex), then restrain through cheese cloth and refrigerate....however you can't reuse if frying breaded meat or fish....