From:
Dale Zinatelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 22:17:22 -0400

A while ago I posted a query as to whether immune enhancers were safe for
people with Celiac  to take. I didn't get many responses from the listserv.
 A couple were not sure and a couple advised against it, and two others
said they used alcohol free echinacia .  I decided to check with my doctor
- who wasn't sure, and some companies and persons that sold homeopathic
medicines, and checked in the resources in the Library where I work.  I
found only one journal article, that discussed this, and it  stated that
person's with auto immune disorders should not take them as our immune
systems are already out of whack.  The companies and  people that sell the
homeopathic medicines with the exception of one said they were not sure.
The one company, after having had to reword my request to them three
different times, and waiting over three weeks for a reply, said they were
fine.
After all the responses received and readings I have been doing, I have
decided that it is not worth the risk, neither for me nor my children.  My
children are not celiac now and I don't want to take any chances with them
either.

"Thanks.You have celiac then you already have an over active immune system.
Although not medical advice, this is what my world recognized allergist
uncle tells me."

"There seems to be a common misperception that celiacs have supressed immune
systems.  I checked with my son's Ped GI on this just this week -- they do
not.  They have immune systems that recognize gluten as an "enemy" --
confused systems when it comes to gluten.  That's all."

"Have seen some things about celiacs should not taking immune boosters as the
system already act irratically..  Now if you decrease your immune activity
then you'll be getting more colds etc.  best wishes"

"I too was very confused concerning Echinacaea use for those of us with
faulty immune systems.  (Besides Celiac I also have allergies, asthma,
and MS all of which are autoimmune related). However as I understand the
problem it is precisely because we have an immune system THAT ACTS
INCORRECTLY that we do not want to cause it to work even harder.  That
would only increase our problems.  What we really need is something that
causes it to ACT CORRECTLY; which apparently is not Echinacea."