From:
Dean Pulsifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 07:13:37 EST

Hello,
    My daughter was recently diagnosed (biopsy) with Celiac disease.  I have
started to learn about a Gluten Free (GF) Diet.  I have tried to find a list
of commercial products (such as cereals, soy sauce, etc) that are GF.  Is
there a list such as this on the listserver?  Is anything with caramel color
bad or just suspect?  I noticed that the Wellbilt bread machine makes a
round load while most of the others make a square loaf.  What are the pros
and cons of round versus square?  I am thinking of getting the "Gluten-Free
Gourmet" books.  Are these a good starting point?  I haven't heard read
many comments on pasta machines.  We eat a lot of pasta in my house and
would like to be able to still eat spaghetti.  Any good machines or bad
machines?

    My daughter was being checked for short stature.  We stumbled upon the
Celiac disease through a blood test.  She does not have most of the classic
symptoms.  She is actually starting to put on a little extra weight.  She is
4 1/2 years old.  What are your opinions on whether putting her on a GF
diet will make her more sensitive to gluten in the future.  If she
accidently gets gluten in 4 or 5 years, will she be likely to have a more
extreme reaction?

Dean A. Pulsifer -- [log in to unmask]