From:
charlie white <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 09:29:39 -0500

I have been reading different posts on families re the celiac diet.
I can only express my own experience.  With my family, I did talk about it
quite a bit at first as I myself was trying to adjust to the new way of
eating.  Many times they would change the subject or tell me I was being a
little neurotic.  What I figured out is that I think where it is genetic the
whole idea scared them as some of my family had symptoms so they didnt want
to hear about it, tho some of them would try to accomodate my diet when I
would visit.  I found my in-laws were more understanding than my immediate
family!!
I have been on the diet 4 yrs. now and rarely do we ever talk about it.  If
they ask me I will do all I can to help them otherwise I do not nor do they
bring up the subject.
People think its an impossible undertaking but what they dont realize is
that you can eat very well and very healthy gf, its just more work, no doubt
about it.  My friends say "I dont know how you do it" when they themselves
have high blood pressure, diabetes or some other ailment and also have
restrictions.  Its amusing.  Just thought Id share this.

Janet in Maine