From:
The Zelinski's <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Zelinski's <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:24:26 -0600

My 11 year old son was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease.  At age 6 my GP diagnosed him with food allergies to wheat, diary, and peanut butter through serological testing.  Then told me to limit the amounts of those foods and prescribed zyrtec.  We eliminated dairy completely at that time since it caused him to have bad gas.
He had digestive problems since infancy i.e. lots of gas and belly aches.  He has been overweight since age 5. His weight has gradually increased since that time and he is currently in the 95th percentile for his age (age 11).
 There is no obesity in our family and my other children never had weight problems at all.  One explanation I received was that his body does not process wheat properly so it stores it as fat.  This was all prior to his CD diagnosis.  His tTG level was very high and with his history my doctor said there is no doubt he has celiac.  In all that I have read he does not fit the typical picture of someone with celiac.  My pediatric GI told me that failure to thrive is not always a symptom of CD and that it presents in many different ways.  I thought that going GF would help him to loose some weight but I think he is actually gaining more! Has anyone else ever heard of obesity being connected to CD?  It is quite a concern for me since I fear he will acquire other health problems.  He does not eat any more than the rest of our family or his friends so I wonder what is wrong with his body that everything seems to be stored as fat.  If anyone knows of any clinical cause or connection to CD please write to me.

Valerie Zelinski, IL.