From:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:00:35 -0500

My son's daycare is a peanut free zone. I think that is great! Peanut
allergies are scary, deadly scary. The directors of our daycare have
always allowed me to bring in a GF lunch for my son (over a year now).
Last week the lead teacher took an EnviroKids bar away from him
because she noticed that it had an advisory statement that the rice
bar was "processed in a facility that also processes peanuts." I know
they make a peanut butter flavor, so I did not think too much about it
(other than, "oh well - he cannot have his favorite snack anymore").
Then I went to pack his lunch the next day and found a dozen different
GF products in my pantry have the same advisory: Barbara's brown rice
crisps, all of his MiDel cookies, all of his Envirokids, Fantastic
world foods and Thai kitchen products. Even my Spectrum cooking oil
has the warning. I know Ians and Enjoy Life are okay - I can continue
to pack them.

I've been searching the internet for days to find a general protocol
for a peanut free school. The specific details vary from school to
school. Obviously they should not allow peanuts or peanut products.
Should they allow a student who is already limited (GF or GF/CF) to
bring in snacks that do not contain peanuts, but have a warning label
due to processing consideractions (potential for trace contamination)?
Considering the number of products out there that could contain trace
amounts of peanuts, is this protocol realistic? I suspect that some
higher risk companies do not provide a warning.

The Center has a policy of separating kids with food allergies at one
table. They are very strict with hand-washing rules. They are doing
the best that they can do for their peanut-allergic kids.

I will meet with the director and assistant director tomorrow. Any
thoughts on how to approach them?

Perhaps I need to pursue a 504 plan and let them come up with suitable
alternatives.

Megan

*******
*******