From:
Kay Stence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 22:48:35 -0500

Hi, again!

I have been shocked and absolutely overwhelmed with emails regarding my
post, "Our New Way Of Life"!  Everyone is saying, "Wow, this is
wonderful" and "Amen"!  Is this really such a new way of eating for many
of you???  It's actually just the way our ancestors ate years and years
ago, before refined foods . . . when everybody was so much healthier.
When people tell me, "I don't have time to do all that", I ask them, "Do
you have time to be sick?"  I've never in all my life have seen so many
people who are sick!  How many do you know with really good health?
Have you asked yourself why?

I believe that we take time for the things that are important to us.  If
you, yourself, are not important enough, how about your family???   I'm
trying to change my grown children's eating habits now, and they don't
want to listen, and it's tearing my heart out.  If we don't have "time"
to cook and eat right, then our priorities are screwed up . . . mine
were for years and I've suffered the consequences. And of course the
longer we eat poorly, the more damage that's done . . . and some will be
irreversable.

 In regard to "We still use rice and potatoes constantly.  What do you
replace them with in your meals?" . . . just eat more vegetables,
fruits, nuts, seeds, eggs, cheese, yogurt, fish, chicken, turkey, and
maybe some pork or beef.  Get creative with your dishes . . . my meals
have become an adventure . . . I've discovered some great dishes "by
mistake".  Did you know, that most people only use 10-12 recipes for
cooking, anyway?  Trial and error different ones until you find 10-12
you really like, perfect them to your liking, and use them over and over
again.  When you cook, cook large amounts and freeze and rotate.  I read
recently about a woman who  uses
a large slow cooker and cooks a turkey, chicken, and roast (in the same
pot at the same time) every weekend and has her meat fixed for the whole week!

You'll probably want to slice and freeze in small portions.  She
"doctors" it up a little differently each day so they don't get bored.
Set aside 2-3 hrs. each weekend to bake for the whole week.  Get a
system going that's easy to live with.  Life in the kitchen gets easier
and easier this way.  Every  once in a great while, try out a new recipe
to keep from getting bored.  This  is not hard . . . it's only a
mindset.  And remember that "Rome wasn't built  in a day". Take it one
step at a time . . . "Inch by inch, life's a cinch and yard  by yard,
it's hard".

Regarding dried beans and digestion . . . soak in water for at least 12
hours, draining at least 3 times.  Add seasoning of choice, a tiny bit
of olive oil (it's a good fat - don't use hydrogenated oils, as they
change in your body to be worse for you than the real fats) and cook in
a slow cooker.

If having diarrhea, strain through a seive to remove the skins and start
with 2-3 tablespoons a day and work up.  Hopefully everyone can eat
beans since they're great protein.  I tested very allergic to legumes a
few years ago but can eat all I want now.  In time, a healthy diet (SCD)
should build up the immune system so you can eat many things you
couldn't otherwise.

Regarding almond flour . . . it substitutes equally for other flours.
For breakfast, I have almond bread with or without fruit or nut pieces
added. Yo u can use it in cheese bread recipes, muffins, on oven baked
chicken and everything wheat flour is used in.  It doesn't thicken as
well, however.  Applesauce can be substituted for eggs and/or butter in
the nut bread recipes, if you like, and is delicious!  If you have
trouble digesting nuts, you should have an easier time with the nut
flour since it's ground so fine.

Wait until there's no diarrhea and there's been some healing.  Then
start off slow and gradually increase up to no more than the equivilent
of 2 muffins per day or you won't have room for the vegges and fruits
you need to be healthy.  If you want to loose weight, limit it to less
than 1 per day. I lost 50 lbs. by eating a small piece per day, and nuts
for snacks!  Unbelievable!

A great idea from somewhere that helped us loose weight:  Eat three
meals per day on an 8" plate, don't go back for seconds or use
"sideboards", and eat only the legal SCD foods, especially the green and
low glycemic vegges and fruits.  We even "nibble" on fruit, nuts and
seeds in between which keeps the insulin level stable.  As your stomach
shrinks and the cravings stop, you may want to cut back even more . . .
and you'll feel so much better and be loosing weight! It's soooo simple
with this diet . . . no counting calories.

Most folks eat waaaaay too much. My husband and I order only one entree
and split it when we eat out . . . and he's a big-boned guy.  Obviously,
If you need to gain weight, you won't have to be concerned with small
plates or cutting back.  Oh, and did I say drink loooooots of water . .
. 8 to 10 glasses per day of good filtered or bottled water!  A must!!!

All of the ideas in my original post were not new nor original.  In
fact, they follow the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet" in BREAKING THE
VICIOUS CYCLE by Elaine Gotshall, who has done the research necessary to
prove her point! I know, I know, some of you threw the book out when you
read the part about "SCDiet curing these diseases".  My understanding of
the book is that if a food bothers you, and gluten does for those of us
with CD, then avoid it and you can be cured . . . as long as you avoid
it!  Please, folks, check out this "miracle diet" and don't get hung up
on this "play on words".  Elaine Gotshall has done her homework!

 As I've monitored this site for the last year, I'm hearing a lot of you
say you're still feeling awful!  I'm also seeing many of you go
absolutely crazy researching and looking for refined packaged foods that
are full of preservatives, sugars and carbs, and that have little or no
nutritional value . . . and many of those foods put you at risk because
of gluten contamination, or the manufacturer could change the recipe or
processing any day to include glutens!  Go back to the basics . . . cook
from scratch so you KNOW what you're eating, and avoid the high carbs
(sugar, rice, potatoes, grains) in your diet as Ms Gotshall outlines,
and I promise you . . . you will feel better and be healthier.  What
have you got to loose???

 BTW, there are instructions for making "true yogurt" that is lactose-
free in BREAKING THE VICIOUS CYCLE.  It can be made several ways . .
with a yogurt machine (the easiest) or in the oven.  On the HealingCrow
site, they've been kicking around other ways of making it, also. You can
disquise it many ways if you don't like the taste of yogurt, yet!  If
you have an allergy to casien, they have also been talking about
ferminting your own sauerkraut instead of yogurt to get those healing "bugs".

BTVC, almond flour, Yogourmet yogurt machine, yogurt starter, and Lucy's
Cookbook (with recipes using all these ingredients) can be ordered from
Lucy at 1-888-484-2126.  You can check out her website at
www.scdkitchen.com.  I've never met Lucy but have talked to her several
times . . . she's very helpful and knowledgeable.  I don't make a dime
off my referrals or have any interest in her business other than knowing
what she has works and is great.

She has/had colitis, met Elaine, and regained her health as a result of
following the SCDiet.  You can get everything you need to get started
eating healthy, the SCD way, from her.

Wow, I got that off my chest, didn't I?  Well, at least I feel better .

. .

it's been nagging me for months!  I feel that everything that happens to
a person is for a reason.  We can use our experience for good or for
bad.  We can face it positively or negatively . . . it's our choice.
I've chosen to pass on our positive experience with the hope of helping
others feel better, faster and prolonging a happy, healthy life.  I hope
some of you have gained information that will change your life like so
many of us on the SCDiet.

I hope you all had a wonderful week-end and feel great!

Kay in Austin