From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:14:18 -0700

Good day, Listmates,

My original question: Despite company assurances that their products
are gluten-free, I had a week-long rash reaction to Solgar niacin
(250 mg). I wondered if perhaps there is something in Solgar products
that is not good for Celiacs.

The responses were mixed. Out of 11 responses, 3 said they had
reactions to Solgar, 1 is leery of the brand and 4 have no problem. 2
said mine sounds like a normal Niacin reaction.

My guess is that I had a normal, if extreme, Niacin reaction
exacerbated by something that triggered a DH-like outbreak (though
not full-blow DH).

Below, some useful testimony:

from one person:
We use Solgar (B100 in veggie cap, D1000, CalMagD, Magnesium,
Natural Multimineral, Vit K, and Bonemeal with B12) without problems and
we have the celiac problem plus corn, soy, dairy and canola allergy to
think about.

Solgar was wonderful in going over all the ingredients with me.  They
told me the magnesium stearate or stearic acid in their vitamins is
from coconut or palm....

and another:
Years ago my husband took niacin and got the flush reaction.  He was very
hot and bumpy and itchy and took benadryl.  He got bright red.  It took a
day or two to go away.   This was from ONE dose.

and from a third:
I've had DH reactions to three of their products (you think I would
give up after the first try).  The first reaction was to GABA, then
chelated magnesium, then folic acid.  My DH reactions are very
specific and each time I've tried a Solgar product, I've gotten my
typical DH reaction.  I've talked to other celiacs without DH who
feel okay on their products.  On my last experience, I even had bumps
between my fingers which is what happens with my most severe DH
outbreaks.

Thanks, everyone, for coming through once again.

best regards,
Mary Brown
NYC