From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:33:49 -0800

MINE IS FOR A DIFFERENT REASON I JUST PUT A LITTLE SALT IN A BIG SPOON AND LICK IT AND I ADD EXTRA SALT ON MY FOOD AT MEALS FOR EXTREMELY LOW BLOOD PRESSURE THIS IS DONE ANYTIME I FEEL IT DROPPING TOO FAST.  I HAVE HYPOTENSION IT IS ALL CALLED NEURO CARDIOGENIC SYNCOPY, VASA VAGEL OTHRO-STATIC HYPOTENSION
---------------------

I can always tell that its 3PM - give or take a few minutes. I carry cheese sticks, nuts and a GF Think bar with me to munch on when I start feeling rocky. (My nutritionist has finally gotten through to me about many small, low carb meals/snacks during the day.) The other thing that has made a major difference are vitamins and a probiotic.  Huge change in energy. (My nutritionist has prescribed packets of Women's Vitamins - AM and PM, a probiotic and vitamin D (now that we have less light exposure). I also make an therapeutic anti-inflammatory shake in the morning which is designed to heal the gut. All of these products are by Metagenics - for whatever that's worth. So far so good.  I am terribly salt sensitive and can't get my rings off if I have a salty meal. With my new program, I have amazing level of energy and can keep going from early morning until we go to bed around 11PM!   Laurencia

[What I find interesting is, I USED to be like Laurencia years ago.  I used to swell if I ate a salty pizza, chips, etc.  That's what prompted me to learn to avoid salty processed foods in the first place.  But, years & years of chronic disease took it's toll on my adrenal glands.]
Re salted water and no fruit in morning (actually, I had no large carbs, including fruit, in morning).... I did try that and it helped me, too!  But I had serious bp crashes after exertion (among other symptoms) which led to exhaustion, as well.  I finally found a nutritionist who recommended I take pantethine and calcium AEP.  WORKS WONDERS!  When a bp crash or fatigue begins, I take 2 X 300mg caps of pantethine plus 2 caps of calcium AEP with a large glass of water every 15 mins or so until my bp stabilizes.  I always got exhausted after epsom salts baths and it works to stabilize my electrolytes then, too. . . . This might not apply to you.  You will know if you take your bp when fatigue starts and see it plummeting downward over the next hour or so.  Mine would plummet from 110/85 to 65/45 or sometimes even lower.  Often this happened 1 or 2 days after the exertion, also; not just at the time of exertion.  The calcium is important to balance the electrolytes, as well, for those who need it.  My 2 cents,  Mia
Well! says she who sits here in the afternoon crash. I've battled this for years, and since you spoke of salt, I took to salting my food and feeling a lot better. My blood pressure is historically on the low side. Have not done the salt in the water deal, but am desperate now, so shall try it. Also, I always have fruit before noon. Gonna try your hint and shall let you know how it does. I have blamed depression for my fatigue, but I really think I could handle stress better if I was not always so fatigued.  CurtissAnn
---------------------------- I would add one thing about salt. Some of us may well have a cystic fibrosis gene, that is common in Northern Europeans. That gene makes people handle sodium differently.
It seems to run in my family, and we are all major salt fiends. If I don't get salt, I feel very bad. After your discussion, I tried doing what I used to do: put some salt in a dish with some spice and just licking it off my finger (or celery sticks). Next day I felt SOOOO GOOOD. So I'll do it again today. In general, I find that there is a "stop" process where suddenly the desire for salt just goes away. . . .Also, I'd point out that farmers give salt licks to livestock and don't restrict access to it. Animals without salt don't do well. . . .Humans seem to need more salt than other mammals. Salt was money for most of history. Soldiers were paid in salt, and salt caravans carried it inland. Most humans, historically and today, tend to live at least part of the year on the coast if they can. If they can't, they trade for products from the coast. . . .Lack of salt (hyponatremia) has been associated with athlete deaths lately. They put the blame on "too much water" but as the name implies, the cause of death is lack of sodium, which causes heart arrhythmias. Lack of salt is also associated with one type of chronic fatigue syndrome. . . .So there might be factors such as adrenal support etc., but I think there is a genetic factor too, and just the plain ol' need for sodium and potassium by humans. But like you said, it's probably variable from one person to another. -- Heidi-------------------------------
Like you, I have had to drink salt (yuck is correct) and it did help for the time that it was needed. It is memory you never forget!  Sally

Thank you for sharing openly and honestly your experiences and those of others that you received. Also, thank you for reminding me that there isn't a "magic bullet" that will instantly cure my ailments. By sharing with each other, we can find what works for our individual bodies. These posts always give me another direction to go if I've come to a dead end. Teresa in OH