From:
Kevin & Pat Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 15:48:03 -0400

Thank you to all who responded to my questions:  "I want to buy a bread
machine and a gf cookbook.  What are your favorites?  I have not tried
the new bean flours....do you like them and where could I order the bean
flours from?"  Here is a summary of the 24 replies that I received.

Pat in USA

I had a lot of trouble finding bean flours in my local health food stores,
then discovered they sell them in Indian food stores, and much cheaper!
I have the Glutenfree Gourmet Bakes Bread, from Betty Hagman, and her bread
recipes are soooo good.
You can get a really good cook book and the bread machine recommended by
the cooks at The Gluten Free Pantry (check their website).  The Bette
Hagman Bakes Bread cookbook has many recipes that use the new bean
flours.  They can be bought at Authentic Foods (check their website).
I use my Kitchen Aide mixer to mix and make bread. I highly recommend
Bette Hagman's newest book, "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread.

As for ordering the bean flours (and other ingredients), you can order
online or through our catalog at http://www.glutenfreegrocery.com/.  I
also have good bread recipes in the Recipes section under Information.
A lot of them use mixes, which make life so much easier!  You can also
subscribe to The Gluten-Free Baker newsletter.
My sister and I use all four of Bette Hagman's books on a daily basis.
We have followed many of her recipes.  Our favorite bread recipe is
"Sesame Bean Bread" from THE GLUTEN-FREE GOURMET COOKS FAST AND HEALTHY.
We have a bread maker but my sister prefer to make three or four loaves
at one time using a large Kitchen Aid mixer.  The bean flour is
wonderful and can be obtained from Authentic Foods and many dealers; it
is called Garfava.
I've used 4 different bread machines, four different brands and price
ranges, and there was not much difference.  I liked my Breadman ($120) a
lot but it got zapped by a power surge, so I now keep my Welbilt ($40 at
Albertson's on close-out) unplugged.  Tried Panasonic and an Oster
breadmaker too.  I bought several of Bette Hagman's cook books.I like
the bean flour, but found it better for me if I combined it with the
rice flour mixture.  I buy garbanzo bean flour or black bean flour at
our local healthfood store, Akin's (they have a website) or at Wild
Oats.
I use Chip Pea Flour (Garbanzo Bean Flour) all the time for gravy
thickeners and bread recipes and breading, etc.  (Mixed with other
flours) The brand is Bob's Red Hill and I find it at Albertsons Grocery
Stores and at the health food stores.  I use a Red Star breadmaker which
handles the stiff dough well.  I purchased recently a breadmaker by
Regal, I believe, from Walmart that advertised it was good for gluten
free recipes (stiff) doughs
recommended the Bette Hagman book, The Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Fast
and Healthy.  As for the where to get the bean flours, check out the
gluten free mall online (someone else sent a post in about that) or
check out your local health food store.  Arrowhead Mills makes them, as
does Bob's Red Mill, among others.  I've used the bean flours to make
baking mixes and alone for other recipes and I think they're great.  The
texture is much better than from rice flours or corn flours alone.
celiac sites.  Bean flours - they all work about the same in my hands.
I have used garbanzo, fava, lentil, split pea, mung bean, even navy bean
mixed in some.
buy Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread
(amazon.com) I have the Zojirushi bread maker, see Gluten Free Pantry
for its description. I paid a little less locally.
My bread machine is a Zojirushi Home Bakery Traditional Bread Machine
Model V-20.  Excellent.  You can order at Gluten Free Pantry:
l-800-291-8386, web site:  www.glutenfree.com, email:
[log in to unmask]  Favorite cookbooks:  "The Gluten-Free Gourmet"
by Bette Hagman, "More from the Gluten-Free Gourmet" by Bette Hagman --
all four of Bette Hagman's are great.  Can be purchased at amazon.com.
or at Gluten Free Pantry.
Bean flours are great and so is milo and sorghum.  I don't even use rice
flours any more.  Bette Hagman has excellant cookbooks .  All are great.
I have found baking bread in the oven better than the bread machine and
I have two of them.
If you are into breads BH Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread is great and
has recipes for using sorgum flour which give great flavor and texture
to bread.

Garfava flour from Authenic Foods is best bean flour I have found but is
very pricey.

BH's books also have great source listings in back.
My favorite bread recipe is in Bette Hagman's third book, The Gluten
Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy.  I make the Sesame Bean Bread.
My favorite gf cookbooks are those by Carol Fenster.  I don't like the
Betty Hagman cookbooks because she uses too much milk and dairy products
in her recipes.  You might try a health foods store or an Asian or
Indian market for the bean flours.  Keep it in the freezer to keep it
from going rancid and/or buggy.  As for a breadmaker, most should be
able to do the job.  I don't recommend an oblong pan because you will
probably have to use a spatula down in the corners or you will end up
with floury corners.
My favorite cookbook is now the gluten-free gourmet bakes bread by bette
hagman.  Many of her recipes use garfava flour from Authentic Foods and
Sorgum.  I have a bread machine but after I purchased it I went out and
bought a kitchen aid mixer.  You really need the mixer for bagels, pizza
etc.  And I have found that baking bead using the mixer and a regular
pan works better than my bread machine.
All of the Bette Hagman cookbooks are wonderful!
I have been very happy with Bette Hagman's cookbooks.
I've had three breadmachines and I highly recommend the Toastmaster
breadbox, I think there are two models that say Gluten free breads on
them.

Get the 2 lbs loaf, the breads go quickly, they taste so good.  We
substitue the soy flour with garbanzo bean flour.  This bread cooks on
the one knead, fast bake cycle.  Only takes one hour!!
bread machine I looked into buying a bread machine early on and decided
to invest in a KitchenAid 300 watt stand mixer.  it takes me about 20
minutes tops to measure and mix the inredients.  With fast rising yeast,
rising takes about 30 minutes and baking only takes 30 minutes too.
I personally have some reservations about the bean flours.  I bought 6
pounds from authentic foods and I'm not too carzy about it.  There seems
to be a bitter taste to it.  I haven't done a lot of cooking with it and
maybe haven't geven it a chance.
All Betty Hagman's cookbooks are the best I've seen.