From:
Wendy Burr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wendy Burr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:27:27 -0600

Thanks to all of you that responded to my question about deducting gluten free food on my tax return.  I am only attaching a few of the responses because everyone agreed on the same process.

The tax court has allowed the extra cost of special food over the cost of a normal diet when prescribed by a doctor to alleviate a specific medical condition."  Remember these are included in the medical deductions part of Schedule A  and the excess of 7.5% of your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income). In other  words if your AGI is $100,000, then you can only deduct the medical  expenses (including the extra cost of the food) that are over $7,500. If you're medical expenses add up to $7,550 then only the $50 will be used as a deduction.

You must keep exhaustive records and the amount must exceed  15% of your income as it is included in medical.  You need to list the item and it's cost, you need to list the price of a comparative non GF item and you can then use the difference as deductible.  You should also keep your receipt for the purchase.  The Celiac Disease Foundation has a very good information and listing sheet for this.  IF you are a member, you can ask them to send one.

The information can also be found at www.celiac.com.

Wendy