From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:42:36 -0700

Hello friends -
Thanks for all the good information.  Almost everyone had a different
recommendation for how to handle nausea and diarrhea!  I will group
the recommendations in 4 categories:  for nausea (with a special
section on Zofran), diarrhea, for both (or I couldn't tell which the
recommendation was for), and other comments.  Before you try any of
these alternatives, please first satisfy yourself that they are
gluten-free.

Jackie in AZ
********************

NAUSEA
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) has anti-emetic (anti-nausea/vomiting)
properties.  It will also make you a bit sleepy and dry you out.  So,
trying a 25mg (1 pill) OTC generic (and gluten-free, read the label)
benadryl may be an option if cost is an issue.

Prochlorperazine (compazine) is a common option, but takes a
prescription.  It comes in an inexpensive generic form, just check
with the respective manufacturer to determine inactive ingredients.

Try keeping a food/supplement diary. Review all supplements and find
ones that list dairy free, gluten free, etc..

  Promethazine (Phenergan) works but it can make you pretty sleepy.
Promethazine is cheap because it is a generic.

Bonine and Dramamine II are both gluten-free according to the
manufacturers.  Those are for nausea caused by motion sickness.

Soda water (lime or mint flavored from Whole Foods)

Emetrol is a highly effective, over-the-counter but behind the
counter treatment for nausea. You may have to ask at the pharmacy for
it, but it doesn't require a prescription. Please double-check the
label to make sure it's gluten free (last checked 3 years ago). Also
follow the directions on the box not to drink anything for a while
after taking it.

Coke Syrup from the drugstore.  Pour a little in a cup and add ice.

Unisom is a very helpful anti nausea drug, but it didnt work for me.
It makes you sleepy.

ZOFRAN
(I don't think all forms of Zofran are GF, so please check!
According to my conversation with the manufacturer, Glaxo Smith
Kline, the pill form is GF as far as they know.)

  Zofran is a really heavy hitter, as far as anti-emetics go; it's
what we use for major post-surgical nausea, as well as post-chemo
nausea.  It is also not without side effects, by any means.  In fact,
one possible side effect is diarrhea, which you don't want.

I have been on Zofran for nausea as well since being diagnosed with
celiac.  it has worked fine for me with no side effects.

  Zofran is a great drug that is used all the time in Anesthesia to
prevent/combat Post op nausea and vomiting.  It is even used for
pregnant patients experiencing
morning sickness.

I'm ultra sensitive to gluten and had no problem with the regular
pill form of Zofran.

I took zofran for 36 weeks of one of my pregnancies for obvious
reasons! :-) it helped tremendously! and i didndt have any issues
with it -I am an extrememly sensitive celiac. in order to help defray
the cost I eventually had my dr. prescribe more doses of it. so i
could refill more pills at once-therefore on charge versus weekly
charge. As a foot note,
however,... using something like zofran works SO well, that if these
symptoms are in fact from a mystery gluten contamination, it wil be
hard to detect. want to make sure the symptoms arent just masked. i
am sure you already double checked shampoos, lotions, etc., and there
is no gluten in your child vacinity. i know even at school with all
the crumbs on the chairs, i had ot brush them off once when
volunteering at a school event and I (also celiac) had diarhea the
next day from simply swiping off a number of chairs. depends on how
sensitive she is. I know this defies what the "experts" say, but have
seen it many times in our circle.

  i would venture to say if zofran doesnt knock it out , itis
deffinitely a matter of contamination from somewhere. any foods "made
in a facility" etc. or try the unisom for one day, if it doesnt work,
go for the zofran-i am a fan. it saved me! I am sure you know this is
what they use for cancer patients ungoing chemo for the nasea.

DIARRHEA
Make sure that she stays hydrated.  I'd also recommend the BRAT diet
(bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) to help with the diarrhea.

Culturelle Probiotic, which can be found at major drug stores. Even
though I am dairy intolerant I can tolerate this.  My mother has had
success with this also. Within two days you should notice an
improvement.

Immodium is good, but pepto bismol is good too.

Pink chewable Pepto-Bismol tablets (though I usually buy the
Walgreens brand as they are cheaper) with gastro-intestinal issues.

Immodium is fine, but if it is gluten, better to let nature take its
course to rid of the offending foods.  Make sure she has plenty of
liquids so she doesn't dehydrate.

The best thing I've every taken for diarrhea (and it's good for
cholesterol) is metamucil capsules.  As a matter of fact I have
colitis and my dr. has me take 5 capsules each morning.

BOTH OR I COULDN'T TELL WHICH
Peppermint candies, the ones that you see a lot of at Christmas time,
but can get all year round.  They're white in the center with red and
white stripes on the outside.  My best friend has crohn's disease,
and sucks on peppermint for her nausea and diarrhea.    If you search
on line for peppermint and nausea, a whole bunch of stuff will come
up.  Peppermint oil has natural anti-nausea and anti-spasm
properties, and it's been shown to help relieve diarrhea and nausea.

1 tablespoon turmeric (the spice) in 1 cup of warm water. Drinking
thru a straw, drink as much of this as you can - just a half a cup
can work. This is a remedy I found on line, and this method is used
in India, where bugs proliferate.  Do this several times a day, if
needed.

Veratrum alb 30c...2 pills after each bowel movement.  recommended by
my md.....costs six dollars in a health food store....works

Imodium works for me including nausea.

A virus, should take care of itself in a matter of a few days-just a
few pills.

Baking soda and water helps tummy issues.

Ginger to keep nausea down and to keep things moving!

OTHER
Please be very careful with nausea and diarrhea. I actually had crazy
nausea and constipation and turns out i had a nasty c.diff infection.
the test is easy-  just poo in a cup - but theyre seeing more and
more cases of it pop up from unknown causes. I was on meds for 30 days
before for something (they think only 7 days of one type of
medication caused it tho), and 40 days after to kick the c. diff. can
be VERY
dangerous if left untreated!