Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:07:55 -0500

         I have long believed in the value of vitamin C for a lot of very
good scientific reasons. Since I am able to control my conditions well
(asthma and severe allergies along with gluten intolerance) and stay in very
good health without heroic measures,  I haven't really done serious self
experimentation with vitamin C. I eat lots of fruit and vegies.
        I just got hold of buffered vitamin C powder, as calcium ascorbate.
This is a form of C that is non acidic, which I think becomes important if
you wish to take large amounts of it. In addition, it provides 50 mg of
readily absorbable calcium with every gram (1000 mg) of C.
        I immediately started a little experiment to at least get close to
+tissue saturation+  which i guess to be about 5-6 grams a day. I mix it in
my drinks, fruity flavored herbal teas, after the tea cools. I did not
exceed bowel tolerance. However I did feel appreciably better the first day;
I slept better, woke up fresher, feel generally sharper. I also made sure to
take more magnesium to balance out the calcium I am getting. This is
actually a covenient way for me to get calcium as I avoid dairy products. At
about 5 cents a gram, this is not overly expensive and i will probably cut
back some after a week.
        Magnesium is thought to be used at a ratio of 1 to 2 relative to
calcium. in normal humans. My studies show that for allergics/asthmatics,
the best ratio may be more like 1 to 1, or maybe even more magnesium than
calcium. National nutritional studies show many US americans low in
magnesium by RDA standards. Magnesium oxide is the cheapest, most widely
available and least well absorbed.