From:
Tami Berget <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:53:29 -0700

I posted two questions: one about pie crust and one about crispy rice
cereal.  I received 49 responses!  Thanks all...you're great.  Responses are
below. My comments are in parentheses.

My question: Has anyone tried the Homestyle Pie Crust Mix from 'Cause You're
Special!?  Pumpkin pie is my son's favorite and that season is rapidly
approaching.  I have a great recipe for pumpkin squares I'm going to try to
convert to GF.  But he'd really like a pie.

3 people said to try Betty Hagman's recipe on page 147 of her third book.
(I have that book and definitely will try it.)

6 people said to cook the pumpkin filling without a crust. (I have a
cooking-wiz coworker that told me the same thing!)

3 people said they loved the mix from 'Cause You're Special.
1 person (from Glutino) said to try a mix from Glutino.

2 people sent me their own recipe.

1 person said try Gluten Free Pantry.

1 person said try Gluten Free Trading Company.

**********************

My second question was: I ordered crispy rice cereal from Kinnikinnick a
while back and made Rice Krispie Treats with them.  They were great.  Does
anyone know where else I can find the cereal?  I've searched Gluten-Free
Mall and Gluten-Free Supermarket and didn't find anything.  I'm trying to
find less-expensive shipping.

6 people said to just order more stuff from Kinnikinnick and shipping will
still be $10. (I have limited freezer space so that's not really an option
for me.)

4 people said to try Gluten Free Pantry crispy rice cereal 8 people said
to try Barbara's rice cereal (I thought this item was a brown rice
cereal...won't that taste quite a bit different?)

2 people said try Rice Crunch Ems
1 person (from Ener-g) said to try Ener-g.

6 people said to try Erewhon's Twice Rice...but 1 person said not to try
them for the treat bars because they have a lot of honey and won't work.
1 person suggested using GF cornflakes or Panda Puffs (I did use the Panda
Puffs in place of rice cereal back in June...no one in the family liked
them.  They like the cereal as cereal, though).

3 people suggested puffed rice 3 people suggested Gluten Free Trading
Company 1 person suggested Malt-O-Meal cereal 1 person suggested Corn
Bursts (also a Malt-O-Meal product, I think) 1 person said they use the
Kellogg's Rice Krispies (the last box I checked had malt flavoring or
coloring, I can't remember which, so I haven't bought them.  I'd welcome
comments on that.)

1 person said shop at Wild Oats
1 person said they get a similar cereal at Walmart.

1 said to try Gudrun's Rice Crispies 1 person suggested New Morning
Chocolate Crispie rice cereal. 1 person said Post Cocoa Pebbles and sent
the ingredient list (ingredients included caramel color...I thought that
was a no-no.  Comments?) 1 person said to try www.dietaryshoppe.com (I
haven't checked them yet) 1 person suggested Gluten Solutions