From:
Chris Silker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 13:18:20 -0500

Thanks to everyone who responded! I'm now working via email with another
list member on finding a rice bran muffin recipe that will taste like the
great rice bran muffins I had at Panne Rizo in Vancouver, BC. If we do so,
I will definitely post the recipe to the list!

Chris Silker
Plymouth MN USA
-------------
check out a book called COOKWISE, by Coultier )not sure of spelling). She
is a biochemist and her book won the James Beard award.  It is
wonderful.....she explains everything!
-------------
I'm not sure this info will help you because it is incomplete and may not
be what you are looking for, but at a health food store in San Francisco,
an employee copied a few pages from a book called Bread, Doughs, and
Batters. These pages describe the components of flour and the behavior of
dough and show the role of gluten in the process. There might be more in
the book, but I don't have author, publisher, or date, and I am not now in
SF to get any more info!! Maybe you can trace it down just from the title.
-------------
I do not know if it is a knowledge of food chemistry that you need but a
different mix of ingredients. I use a combination of flours that I can
subsitute cup for cup for regular flour. If you add fruit and brown sugar
you can overcome the taste of the flours and get muffins that are as good
as any you have ever tasted. They will ot raise as high as wheat flour
muffins but I do not find that matters.
-------------
Ms Robens sent sample for our all state mtg also w/ a set of sheet about
g.f. baking--What to do is it is too ______. Included info on muffins &
cakes, pancakes & pizza, and cookies as well as breads. Their # is
1-800-891-0083. (They also sent a very comprehensive list of
manufacturers's phone # s. I don't have a specific book to recommend, but
if you are anywhere near a University, it would be a good idea to check the
library for food science or food engineering books. I know that there are
some out there which discuss those questions.
[Note - Jay from Ms Roben's sent their 800 number and said I could call
with questions. -Chris]
-------------
I am doing research for my cookbook for kids. When I needed the same
information, I started reading old cookbooks. Books that were published
pre-1950's. It made a huge difference in how I made a pie crust. I used the
Fannie Farmer and the Boston School of Cooking books printed in the 30's
and 40's.
-------------
Lower the temperature next time you make them and bake them a little
longer. It might help. I add baby food fruit to mine and that helps. Just
half a jar is often enough and you can freeze the rest until you bake
again. Squash and sweet potatoes work also. Once you have muffins mastered,
double or triple the recipe and freeze the extras.
-------------
There are a couple in the Food Science section of my page:

  The Gluten-Free Page:        http://www.GFlinks.com/
[Note - I did find a nice overview of the functions of baking ingredients
here. Now I just need one for gf baking! :)  -Chris]
I'm not quite sure what you mean by Baking Chemistry, but I find that if I
make muffins (which is very rarely in these GF days) a 'Multi Purpose Mix'
works best and only made in small quantities. For cakes and slices I use
almost any recipe that only has small quantities of 'flour' ie. less than 1
cup and I use either rice or cornflour, or a pre-mix either 'Multi-Purpose'
or 'Bread Mix' (not one with yeast). For biscuits use a mix without any
rising otherwise they go cake-ey. I hope this is of some help, I would love
to know what you know about making good gf bread.