Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 20:22:13 EST

Our SnoCoCeliac Support Group will reconvene on December 13 at 7pm in the
Northshore Group Health Clinic Conference Room A. I sent directions with the
November meeting announcement. However, if anyone misplaced those directions,
please email or call me at 206-527-6678 ASAP. If possible, please print out and
bring the following agenda to our December meeting.

INTRODUCTIONS
NEW ATTENDERS: State your name and how you learned you have gluten
intolerance or were diagnosed with CD.
REGULAR MEMBERS: State your name and how long you've been GF.

NEW BUSINESS:

NEW LOCATION (Group Health Northshore (Bothell) Clinic) ACCESSIBILITY: The
'evening entrance' door will be open at 6:30pm and locked again at 8:45pm. We
will conclude our meeting at 8:30pm. So you will have time to leave and return
for any forgotten items or restroom stops before your trip home. Hopefully we
won't have to answer the doorbell for latecomers, because that entrance should
be unlocked.

HOLIDAY COOKY EXCHANGE: Please bring 2-dozen cookies for our exchange. Since
many member s have other food intolerances (casein, soy, yeast, eggs, etc.)
BESIDES gluten, PLEASE include copies of your recipe or ingredients list (and
your phone number if someone wants the recipe) with your cookies. If you bring
2-dozen cookies, leave 24 copies. Each attendee should bring their own plastic
bags for cookie samples. Maybe you could put each cookie with a recipe or
ingredients list in separate plastic bags to enjoy later. If you like the cookie
you will have either the recipe or the phone number of the 'baker' so you can
replicate that recipe. Please leave your cookies with recipe/ingredients list
on a side table so that those who must leave early can just take samples on
their way out.  We will end our discussion promptly at 8:15 to allow time for
everyone to gather cookie samples.

TOP FOODS now carries GF products. Bob Hester will elaborate.

2006 CELIAC AWARENESS WALK:  We're currently working on the annual celiac
awareness walk and GF food fair which will occur at Greenlake in Seattle on
Saturday, May 20. We'll register at 8:00am, walk the lake from 9:00-10:00 and gorge
on free GF goodies from 10:00am - 1pm (after we burn all those 'walk'
calories). LOL Anyone who does not want to walk can attend the food fair for a $5
donation for Celiac Awareness.  If you want to participate in this event, PLEASE
ALSO CONSIDER VOLUNTEERING to help with registration of walkers, tee-shirt
distribution, or food fair goody distribution. You can also come early to help
with registration AND walk.. We also need advertising ideas.  If you want to
place an announcement in your local community paper, please call or email me for
'walk' specifics.

GIG PARTNER: Our SnoCoCeliac Support Group is now a GIG Partner Group.

GIG 2006 NATIONAL EDUCATION CONFERENCE: Watch the GIG website for
information. www.gluten.net

OLD BUSINESS: Does anyone have any continuing important items or issues?

DISCUSSION TOPIC:

HOLIDAY BAKING WITH CELIAC AND OTHER FOOD INTOLERANCES: We began discussing
this topic last month when a few members mentioned challenges of gluten free
baking. Have others had difficulties with gluten free baking? How did you learn
gluten free baking techniques? Did you watch a demonstration? Did you purchase
several recipe books? Which ones? Who has tried yeast breads? Do you have any
success secrets? Who has successfully baked piecrusts? What worked and what
didn't work for you? Does anyone have any 'fantastic flop' stories? Do you
purchase several kinds of GF flours and combine them yourself or do you use GF
flour combinations or do you use baking mixes (for cookies, brownies, cakes,
etc.)? For those who must avoid dairy, what do you substitute for butter,
margarine, milk, yogurt or sour cream in recipes? For those who must also avoid soy
(and casein) what do you substitute for dairy ingredients? Does anyone need to
substitute for yeast or eggs? What do you substitute? Finally, which is more
economical for you--BAKE OR BUY-when you consider your time, energy and expense?

I hope to see you at our December meeting. I look forward to our baking
discussion and sampling all your holiday cookie creations. If you have questions
about our agenda, please don't hesitate to write or call me.

SUE CORNING
Leader/Facilitator
SNOCOCELIAC SUPPORT GROUP