From:
"Thomas, Janet (DIA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 1995 13:58:00 AST

I'm not convinced that introduction of foods to infants at an early age
contributes to an early onset of Celiac disease.  I have two boys, my
oldest (7 years old) was diagnosed with Celiac disease just before his
third birthday.  My family has a history of bowel diseases on both sides
of the family, and my maternal great-grandmother died in her early
forties of a 'wasting' sickness, she had severe diarehha, vomiting,
etc.and literally wasted away.  Sounds like Celiac disease doesn't it?
Also, Michael was a preemie and I think that preemies have more health
problems as babies and toddlers than full-term babies.  He too had more
than his share of ear infections, strange rashes, etc.  when he was a
baby.

Michael was hospitalized for nearly two months before he was diagnosed.
He got to the point of being unable to sit up or even hold up his head.
He spent a month in a special children's hospital 500 miles from home,
with me there and Daddy home with our nine month old baby.  He was nearly
two years before he was declared back to 'normal'.  However, now, four
years later he is a healthy, active little boy.  He sticks to his diet
and is NEVER tempted to cheat.  We work hard to ensure that he gets to
participate in everything just like the other kids - which means that my
other full-time job is baking gluten-free stuff for school parties,
church events, family gatherings, etc.  We are living proof that Celiac
kids can get along quite well in a world that revolves around eating.

I'm interested in hearing everything you all have to offer regarding
raising Celiac kids and hope that my experience can help some of you as
well.  Right now my burning question is:  How can I keep lunches
interesting and varied?  Michael has to pack a lunch every day.  He's
only in first grade so I find it difficult to get away from peanut butter
and jam.  Any comments?

Janet Thomas
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada