From:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vicki Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2009 12:53:02 -0700

Dear Listmates -

When I posted the information on the MK-4 form of vitamin K2 that I buy, one listmate wrote that there is no such thing as K2, the government says there are only 13 nutrients that we need, etc.

Vitamin K2 is valid. There are several forms, and it has been used in clinical research studies. For example, research study results on the MK4 form of K2, menatetrenone (the form I take), appeared in Archives of Internal Medicine, a valid and well-recognized journal. I don't have a record of the date or issue right now, and don't have time to find that out.

There is a MK-7 form, and I think a MK-1 form. The MK-4 research study showed it helped bone density and reduced fracture rate, if taking a total of 45 mg per day.

For myself, I take 15 mg 3 times a day, plus soy Genistein (Soy Isoflavones contain this), plus Ostivone (Ipriflavone). Swanson Vitamins online has Ostivone in a 500 mg strength for a good price. Most only have 200 or 300 mg.

I also use Calcitonin nasal spray (generic for Miacalcin), since I became allergic to biphosphonates (Actonel, Fosamax, Boniva, Reclast, etc.). Calcitonin is all I can tolerate.

My bone density is starting to increase, so I feel I am on the right track. My lumbar spine kept losing bone on Calcitonin and Twinlab Tri-Boron plus (calcium, magnesium, and other minerals). I require a lot of calcium and vitamin D, since I have Secondary Hyperparathyroidism.

That means I no longer make vitamin D, if any, and I am 62. That is typical of getting older, but most doctors don't think to test parathyroid hormone and vitamin D levels (fasting tests) and just test calcium. My calcium level is normal. If it were not, I would be given a Sestamibi scan of the parathyroid glands to check for tumors (primary hyperparathyroidism). My problem is vitamin D.

Low vitamin D levels will cause elevated parathyroid hormone levels, since vitamin D suppresses excess parathyroid hormone production.
So that's what I ran into. My levels are now normal, but I have to take 1700 mg calcium and 2700 IU of vitamin D3 for life.

Vicki in Illinois