From:
"Joe Murray, M.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 10:35:00 CST

Subject: re alopecia universalis and celiac disease

I read with intereest the posting from the individual with alopecia Universalis.

I have never seen a patient who has had both diseases.  I would expect that
there would be a slightly increased propensity for these to occur in the same
individual or family as they are both autooimmune diseases.  If the GFD affects
the alopecia I think it would and should be reported in the mediacl literature.
If the individual starts to feel generally better on the GFD but without
improvement this can be due to severl things
1. they have CD
2. a placebo effect of the GFD
3. Some othe intolerance for a food substance that is also contained in the
gluten food that is being avoided]
4. some other undefined reaction to gluten ( gliadorphin etc )

I think that a general proscription on gluten is akin to vegetarianism. It may
be better for some but the evidence that it is good for all is lacking.
Also while wheat is bad news for celiacs it is the #1 staple crop worldwide

Not medical advice
Joe Murray