From:
Valerie Cawley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie Cawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:26:42 -0700

Hello mothers and fathers of school children.

I found myself watching a program on C-Span around noon today: Federal Child Nutrition Programs.  Several nutritionists were advocating nutritious food for school snacks including Joanne Slavin, Professor of Nutrition, at the University of Minnesota.  She made a very good case for feeding our children more and more whole grain foods.

Since grains are becoming more and more suspect as causes for Autism, ADDH, ADD and other behavioral problems in the classroom it scares me to think that there might be a Federal Program to promote whole grain snacks for kids.  On the brighter side one advocte referred to a study where children were given fresh fruit, of their choice, during the day, and it was found to be beneficial.

I refer you to the C-SPAN web-site or House Committee, Federal Child Nutrition Programs, Education and the Workforce, Washington, District of Columbia (United States)  ID: 178540 - 10/07/2003 - 2:43 - $180.00.  Boehner, John, U.S. Representative, R-OH Stenzel, Tom, President, United Fresh Fruit & Veg. Assn. Bost, Eric, Undersecretary, Department of Agriculture, Food and Consumer Services ... information taken from the site.

Or if you would  like to email Joanne Slavin, her address is   [log in to unmask]

Stay well
Valerie  WA