From:
Lynda Swink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynda Swink <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:43:13 -0500

Thanks to all for your many helpful suggestions!  Here is the summary of
your responses in the order
of most suggested:

Get an oven thermometer.  (Number one suggestion!)

Place 2 oven thermometers on a shelf, one on each side of the oven, to
see if it's heating evenly

Test my ovens temperature to be sure that it is calibrated correctly.

Wait for oven to heat up to correct temp.

Bread should be between [approximately] 205-218 degrees.

Test for doneness in the middle - if the dough is not baked well, it
will fall in the middle.
A cake should pull away from the edges of the pan and a toothpick stuck
in the middle
should come out clean without any clinging dough.

Electric oven's are well insulated and therefore... "There [is] no way
for the heat or steam
to escape when the heat didn't have to come on so often... I solved the
problem by cracking
the oven open with a chopstick whenever I bake. The heat has to come on
oftener &
creates a current that give me a dry heat instead of a steam bath."

Bake at a lower temperature for a longer time.

Coated pans will sometimes cause products to fall.

Some mixes will not bake correctly in an insulated pan.

If baking from scratch then put in a teaspoon of Zanthan Gum.

Place a pan of water in the oven as you are baking.

Too wet... decrease liquids by [approximately] 1/8 c.

Turn the oven off when done and let the bread sit for ten minutes before
you take it out.

And this person covered all the bases!  :-)
"Turn them half way through in case your oven is hotter on one side.
Buy an oven thermometer to make sure your oven is the correct temperature.
Use the old toothpick test - maybe they are not cooked through.
Cook them a little longer to ensure they are cooked through. Besides the
toothpick test, I use the touch and look of it as well.  When I used my
sister's
convection oven, my stuff turned out differently and I didn't like it as
much.
I prefer my electric oven.  If you Google, I'm sure you will find more
suggestions."

I intend to be systematic in trying each of your suggestions until my
problem is resolved.

Again, thank you all for your willingness to help out!

Lynda Swink