From:
Carol Bowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:30:54 -0800

I apologize for this belated summary.  Many thanks to all who responded
to my post!  My original question was: should I pressure my
gastroentologist to do an endoscopy after 6 months gluten-free and a
negative blood-test?

Most felt that after 6 months of gluten-free diet, the endoscopy would
not show damage, although a couple of people thought it would since it
takes a long time to heal (I am 52 yrs. old). One said, "It's hard
enough to find and diagnose anyway without having healed a lot, as
yours  probably has."

Several recommended strongly against a gluten challenge just for the
sake of a diagnosis. The longer I go gluten-free, the stronger my
reactions to gluten accidents, so I don't think I could handle a gluten
challenge.  I particularly liked one person's statement that recovering
celiacs are *not* laboratory animals - I couldn't agree more!  Some
recommended other types of tests (cheek scraping, stool test).  One
pointed out that I'm better off without an official diagnosis for
purposes of future insurance.

Several responses indicated that it takes a long time to regain weight -
can be a couple of years or more.

In the meantime my gastroentologist has conceded that I probably do have
celiac, & should just stick with the gluten-free diet since it is
working for me.  He won't do any further testing (my small intestine is
the only thing left untested) unless I lose more weight.

I do appreciate Sally Hackett's recent "weight loss summary 2."  I
discovered gluten intolerance and digestive enzymes on the same day
(thanks to my chiropractor!), so I began feeling better fast, even tho
I'm not regaining any of the lost weight.  I will try some of the other
ideas suggested in Sally's summary.

- Carol in Northern Calif.