From:
J Smiley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:39:54 -0700

My daughter has Celiac disease and as you know dining out can be quite a nuisance.  Last weekend we stopped in to the Applebee's on 90th St and Shea in Scottsdale, AZ.  My daughter ordered buffalo wings - no sauce and I simply added " please make sure no bread comes in contact with her plate as she has an allergy to wheat.  I didn't even mention celiac disease.  The server, his name was Pat, came back and said he wanted us to know that there may be a contamination issue with the wings since other wheat containing items are cooked in the oil used for the wings.  I was shocked that he would have any idea this would be a problem.  The manager then came out, without a request from us, with the label torn from the wing sauce bottle.  He said he had had a customer earlier who required a gluten-free diet and was looking into their menu with the help of the corporate office.( BTW I did not mention the term gluten-free either)  He was not completely certain what gluten free meant but he was researching it.

I highly recommend visiting this Applebee's if you want a hassle free dining experience.  Just for the record, the manager who was on duty that day was Eric Wolfley.  Kudos to this Applebee's

Jennifer in AZ