From:
Alan Wallace, Jr. <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 01:20:57 EDT

Dear List ~

Have any of you felt weak, fatigued, depressed, and suffered from insomnia?
I recently had bloodwork done and was told all was 'normal'.  When I asked to
SEE the results for myself, WBC was low, RBC was high, Calcium was high, and
Phosphorous was low.  These were all just a LITTLE over and under.  The nurse
practitioner said I should drink pop to increase my Phosphorous, and these
results were basically 'normal'.

I checked online to see what this could mean.  It seems  high Calcium (in
blood) points to a malfunction in the parathyroid glands.  These are located
behind the thyroid but have no relationship to it and they regulate the
amount of Calcium in our blood.  I decided I needed the parathyroid hormone
(PTH) test just to see  if I actually have a problem.  It turns out I have
more than normal  PTH being produced and now have an appointment with an
endochrinologist.  This can cause all of the above symptoms plus more . . .
such as nausea, blurring of memory, etc.

As if we Celiacs don't have enough problem retaining our calcium, an
overactive parathyroid actually takes calcium from our bones and digestive
system and adds it to our blood.  PTH tells our brain the blood needs more
calcium.  The extra calcium can then cause problems with our kidneys and ? ?
? ? ?

Have any of you been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism?  I'd  surely
appreciate any information available.

Thanks ~
Jude in WA  USA